Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I tried to convert a receptacle that was wired for a garbage

disposal on both plugs to...
I tried to convert a receptacle that was wired for a garbage disposal on both plugs to a split switch receptacle. I connected both white wires to the upper and the single black wire to the bottom. On the brass screws side I broke off the brass connector (the other side is also brass but does not have brass screws.

Now, the bottom plug works. The top is dead. The top is supposed to be for the garbage disposal.
9/6/2013
Rick
Rick, Master Electrician

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Do you have a voltage tester, and do you know how it was previously wired?

Customer:

I have one but we recently moved in and I will have to take a look to see if I unpacked it yet. I think I did. The receptacle was previously wired by the electrician. It had one white and one black on the "brass" side.

Customer:

I found the voltage tester.

Sparky :

That explains a lot. Because the black and white were on one side, that tells me that it was what we call cold switched. At your switch you more than likely have a black and a white on the screws of that switch instead of 2 black wires. The simplest thing to do to accomplish what you want to do is to get an air switch. Make the receptacle hot all the time. Use the air switch to control the Garbage disposal. You will have to replace the receptacle though, since you broke the tab.

Sparky :

Click here and you will see an air switch

Customer:

Okay. Thanks for your help.

Sparky :

No problem. Please rate.

Sparky :

If you need further information, let me know, and I'll be here for you.

Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Hi Richard. Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/
Rick
Rick
Rick, Master Electrician