Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

wiring question about armored cable use in an open cathedr

al/ceiling...
wiring question about armored cable use in an open cathedr al/ceiling
9/5/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

What exactly is it you are looking for in the application?

Customer:

I am rewiring a small cabin...4 overhead light and 2 ceiling fans w/ open ceiling

Customer:

can I use ac..or is rigid conduit needed?

Customer:

Hello?

AssuredElectrical :

Should be no problem using the AC cable unless there are local codes/amendments. The local AHJ has the last say on the installations. As far as NEC, the installation is allowed.

AssuredElectrical :

320.10 Uses Permitted
Type AC cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) For feeders and branch circuits in both exposed and
concealed installations
(2) In cable trays
(3) In dry locations
(4) Embedded in plaster finish on brick or other masonry,
except in damp or wet locations
(5) To be run or fished in the air voids of masonry block or
tile walls where such walls are not exposed or subject to
excessive moisture or dampness

AssuredElectrical :

320.12 Uses Not Permitted
Type AC cable shall not be used as follows:
(1) Where subject to physical damage
(2) In damp or wet locations
(3) In air voids of masonry block or tile walls where such
walls are exposed or subject to excessive moisture or
dampness
(4) Where exposed to corrosive conditions
(5) Embedded in plaster finish on brick or other masonry in
damp or wet locations

AssuredElectrical :

I see no problem, as you meet the qualifications for it in the situation.

Customer:

qualifications?

AssuredElectrical :

May have to be careful if running to a switch, may have to use a BX to EMT connector to insure the damage is not present

AssuredElectrical :

Stipulations, articles, just a way to word the installation.

Customer:

Damage?...confused...after the top plate, there is [email protected] switch..

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, I do not know how it is built, many times the switches are exposed on the surface on some buildings

AssuredElectrical :

I have done cabins with all exposed surface mount and those with walls

AssuredElectrical :

If you have drywall, you are in great shape.

Customer:

Yep..I think we are done. Thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, you are most welcome, glad to assist.

Customer:

Roger that...over and out.

AssuredElectrical :

have a good day

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician