AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

why do remodel stye recessed can lights have that arm with

why do remodel stye recessed can lights have that arm with the attached junction box?

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

The design serves the easiest for installation from below the sheetrock. Recessed Lights are required to have a junction box for wiring, as they can accept more than one cable to feed the lights. The arm style which is fairly standard serves this well, as the cable can be brought out the cut opening and wired in the junction box, while still allowing you to insert it back into the ceiling and complete the fixture installation.

AssuredElectrical :

Recessed lights which are used for "new work" installation have the same junction box. The cans themselves can be removed on them from the bracket whole in place and you can access the junction box from below in the room. Thos are standard as well. So with the "old work remodel style, when you remove the fixture from the ceiling, you get the junction box along with the fixture. It is actually easier to work on than the new work style fastened in place.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX has nothing to do with the ceiling joists or insulation?

AssuredElectrical :

No, junction box isnt part of that scenario. The way they are built determines if isulation is OK around the can itself. IC is rated for In Contact and Non-IC is not rated for insulation closer than 3". But that is about the can itself holding the bulb.

AssuredElectrical :

sorry, Non-IC cannot have insulation closer than 3", my typo

Customer:

is the junction box supposed to be positioned over the joist?

AssuredElectrical :

Any direction you wish, I have never paid attention personally on remodels. There is no requirement.

Customer:

ok, thanks much!