Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Mike, our ceiling is four wire (black, white, red, and green),

but our new fans have...
Mike, our ceiling is four wire (black, white, red, and green), but our new fans have the internal controls (ie. dimming, speed, on-off). Do we simply cap the red wire? The room has two switches which operated the old fan light (red wire). Is it safe to simply cap and tape the red wire?
9/4/2013
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Your assumption is correct. Just cap it.
And the wall switches? What do you recommend since they are no longer in use. Do we simply leave them or is it easy to disconnect the switch, then simply put a face plate cover.
Leave the black wire switch connected for an override to the remote control. And the other not having a connection will be fine left as is.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician