Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a older mobile home and this morning a series of sockets

Customer Question
went out.. kitchen lights and...
I have a older mobile home and this morning a series of sockets went out.. kitchen lights and 2 sockets in living room.. i thought maybe a fuse.. i checked and they were good. so I decided to change the sockets maybe one was bad that was causing the series to go out. Well in the process of changing one i found one of the black wires was off the socket So when connecting the new sockets i put it on.. now it blows the fuse every time. If i take that black wire off and put in a socket tester it says that socket is fine.. but the next socket down in that series says open neutral which i am guessing it's because that black wire isn't hooked up . There is nothing pluged in to this series while installing the fuse back in panel. Maybe you can help me.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/1/2013
Electrician: BuilderNorb, General Contractor replied 4 years ago
BuilderNorb
BuilderNorb, General Contractor

BuilderNorb :

I can assist you, though it may be a process requiring a basic understanding and knowledge of electric components located within your home. Safety first.

Customer :

That is fine. I was just trying to figure out what the issue is all of a sudden.

BuilderNorb :

The problem is most likely an improperly CONNECTED outlet that branch circuits flow through. The bathroom gfci is a great place to start. Be aware of hazards associated with Ampacity before attempting repair yourself. I

Customer :

i assumed it was an improper outlet connection also.. but i took another out to check how it was wired and it's the same.. so it has me clueless.

BuilderNorb :

Also, check frequently used outlets. They are the most likely to fault a circuit. A bad gfci can shut it down also. Usually unhooked wiring is culprit. You just have the find the one causing problems. Wouldn't hurt to examine all of the outlets for preventive measures. Recommend replacing ALL switches/outlets due to short life span

BuilderNorb :

The wiring may look fine, but if the receptacle is bad, an ohm test may help find culprit

Customer :

I will start ohming them out tomorrow to help find the issue. I didn't think there would be a straight forward answer but always nice to get a few tips.. I appreciate it.

BuilderNorb :

I've had a number of singlewides with similar issues... all times but a few were unhooked wires. bathroom gfci bad in a few cases

BuilderNorb :

Start at the closest receptacle to service panel. Make certain the power is OFF

I hope you were able to find the fault. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I would be pleased to help!!
BuilderNorb
BuilderNorb
BuilderNorb, General Contractor