Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

a circuit in my house just went out, breaker was not tripped,

a circuit in my house just went out, breaker was not tripped, I did cycle breaker. checked voltage at all outlets at 93 vac. If iturn any light switch on, on the circuit it drops to under 15vac. I swapped circuit in the breaker box with identical type ( 20 ) to eliminate possible bad breaker. I disconnected old bathroom ventilation fan did not correct. only thing left are outlets with light switches

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Can you tell me what reading you're getting when you test from hot to ground, then hot to neutral please.

Customer:

on second

Customer:

one second

Customer:

hot to neu 93 ac

Customer:

hot to gnd 25 ac

Sparky :

Are you getting this throughout the whole house, or just one circuit?

Customer:

just one circuit

Sparky :

What about at the breaker? Are you getting the same readings there?

Customer:

yes

Sparky :

Sounds like you have a loose neutral. Can you follow which neutral wire is paired with that hot wire, and see if it's nice nd tight?

Customer:

this would be in the main box correct

Sparky :

Yes.

Customer:

ok I will try that I would make sense as that circuit had a history of flickering lights

Sparky :

That is also a symptom of a loose neutral. Let me know what you find.

Customer:

ok going to check now

Sparky :

ok

Customer:

no all is good in the box had 120 vac coming out of box on the circuit it must be at the first outlet

Sparky :

Exactly. Since you have the circuit identified it should be pretty easy to find. It will probably be a outlet with a stab in the back connection. These normally fail eventually.

Customer:

ok ill half split the circuit till I fin it shouldn't take long thanks