Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

hi electricians expert i wonder can Fluke T5-1000 do continuity

hi electricians expert

i wonder can Fluke T5-1000 do continuity test on live control circuit at 24vdc.

if yes can you provide me a reference please.

thank
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..I'm not aware of any Fluke meter that can do this. Are you under the impression that such a device exists?

If so, I will stand corrected and research further but I'm not sure how a resistance test would be performed on a circuit that is carrying voltage and current.

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i got reference from the book call " industrial electrical troubleshooting" by Lynn Lundquist. page 46 Quote " you should alson be aware that a standard ohm-meter cannot be used for continuity testing on a live circuit. Unless your meter is specifically designed for live circuit testing on the ohm or continuity settings"

that is why make me wonder can fluke t5-1000 cable live testing on the ohm mode.

The T5-1000 cannot do that. I just spoke with a Fluke representative and there is no meter in the Fluke product range that can do what you want.

I am sorry it is not the answer you want.

I am an industrial electrician and controls guy and I can honestly tell you that I am not aware of ANY handheld meter or other device that can measure resistance or impedance on a live circuit.

Can you tell me what it is you are trying to determine? Is there a reason why circuit has to be energized to test it?

Regards
Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Yes the T-5 will do both voltage and continuity. When making a test the first thing it would indicate is the voltage present between the leads. Not having voltage it would alert for continuity with an audible tone and light. I use the tester on a daily basis and find it to be very serviceable. It is what is called a Volt/Con for that reason.