How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3594
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My old oven required a 220 outlet. My new cooktop just needs

This answer was rated:

My old oven required a 220 outlet. My new cooktop just needs a standard outlet. Is it easy to convert the 220 to a regular one? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!


1) Does the 220V receptacle have a neutral wire?


2) Are the existing 220V wires installed in metal conduit or Romex? Does the existing receptacle box have a bare copper wire?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know the answers to those questions at this time. I will try to get them and get back to you. Thank you.

Traci... very good....thanks for the replies!


1) I assume that the manufacturer instructions state that a dedicated 120V/20 amp circuit will be required for the new cooktop. Please double check the instructions and/or electrical spec's as most cooktops are 220V circuits and not a 120V circuit.


1A) Will the new cooktop unit be a "plug-in" type to a wall receptacle or will it be "hard-wired"?


2) Your existing 220V receptacle should have a minimum of 3 wires, ie, 2 hots and 1 neutral. The neutral wire may be a white wire or it may be a black wire using a piece of white tape to re-identify it as a neutral wire. If you have Romex cable, take a look at your main electrical panel. If Romex cable, you will most likely have white and yellow cables protruding from the top. If metal conduit, then you will be able to visually determine if it is metal conduit piping. If you have Romex cable, the inside of the existing receptacle box should hopefully have a bare copper ground wire, depending upon the age of the cable and when it was originally installed. You may also have another form of wiring called Flexible Metal Conduit or Armored or BX cable. This type of cable will be metallic and will be spirally wound on the exterior.


3) Depending upon the size of the existing range, your main electrical panel will either have a double pole 30 amp, or 40 amp or 50 amp circuit breaker. Most likely it will either be a 40 or a 50 amp double pole breaker.


4) Let me know what you have and I can walk you thru the process of converting the existing 220V receptacle to a standard 20 amp duplex receptacle. Yes, it is a fairly simple process to convert it back to a standard 120 volt receptacle.


5) If you don't already have one, I would recommend that you borrow one from a friend or a neighbor or purchase a 2-prong AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter. If purchasing one, these are relatively inexpensive and cost around $25 or less at your local Home Depot or Ace Hardware or Lowe's stores.


6) You will also require a standard 20 amp duplex receptacle, a duplex wall cover plate and some short pieces of jumper wires (12 AWG solid or stranded copper wires, type THHN insulated) in order to transition from the existing large conductors to the smaller 12 AWG conductors to accommodate the new 120V receptacle. You will also require some large plastic wire nuts as the existing wires will need to be spliced with the 12 AWG copper jumper or pigtail wires. You will also require a single pole 20 amp circuit breaker (same brand of breaker) to be installed in the main electrical panel. The new 20 amp will replace your existing double pole 220V breaker.


7) Just reply back to this question and I can walk you thru the process............Thanks........Kevin!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, the new cooktop is gas, so it only uses electricity to ignite. It is a plug-in type.

1) Very good...... just wanted to confirm the type you have. Since a gas top, then a simple plug-in 120V receptacle is all that is required.
Kevin and other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you

HelloTraci........ Thank You for the excellent service rating.............much appreciated!


If you have any other questions and/or follow-up questions, no need to create a new question. Just reply back to me on this question and I'll be more than happy to answer them for you.


Take care and have a great day................Thanks again..............Kevin!

Related Electrical Questions