AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Have a question, most ceiling fan light kits come with bulbs

Have a question, most ceiling fan light kits come with bulbs jd e11, are they dangerous, can they explode, overheat?? Leak gas??

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Have not seen any ceiling fan lights that use the JD-E11 bulbs. Those bulbs are normally used in spot or flood light applications.

AssuredElectrical :

Thye do have some gases inside the bulb, but are no more dangerous than a standard incandescent bulb and less than a CFL enery effecient bulb. Unles you break one and are right at the bulb, it would not be a dangerouse situation in itself.

AssuredElectrical :

Buls do not normally break or explode, only when dropped or hit would one break.

AssuredElectrical :

The Halogen style like the E11 bulb does produce more heat that standard bulbs, so they should only be used in a fixture that is specifically rated for them.

AssuredElectrical :

You would not install one in a standard light fixture unless it is designed for that bulb because of the heat ouput.

Customer:

Okay, have used that type of bulb in the past. It got hot to touch and burned out quickly, doesnt look like much has changed

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, the E11 is a hot burning bulb, you do not want to handle one with the bare fingers when installing them. Your fingers will leave an oil resiude on the bulb itself and that too can lead to failure. Always hande bulbs of that style with a tissue or towel to keep the oils from going to the glas of the bulb

AssuredElectrical :

They will not last near the life of other bulbs because of their heat output, that alone is a shorter life because there is no way to cool them down

Customer:

Yep, going to send it back, you cant find a light fixture for fans that arent downlights (which I dont want) or halogen bulbs

AssuredElectrical :

You might find some LED bulbs to substitue, some LED bulbs today have a much better light output. It is a trial and error to find one because they always try to write them up as having more light than you get in reality. I found some for out=r kitchen fixture that used Halogen bulbs and they have worked well so far.

Customer:

Too risky for me! I use full spectrum bulbs in all my fixtures

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, understand. The halgens have the best light ouput for you situation in that case. Might get the dimmable style and install a dimmer to cut back on the output and heat. About the only other option.

Customer:

I get the best price for spectrum and dimmable bulbs from Blue Max

AssuredElectrical :

Might try the dimmable E11

Customer:

i've not seen a dimmable e11, where would i get it

AssuredElectrical :

Would try a major lighting store, not your big box type store

Customer:

Great, I have one near me.

AssuredElectrical :

AMAZON HERE has a selection too

Customer:

is there a substitute for the ell bulb or do you have to use the one that came with it or is it just the base size of the bulb

AssuredElectrical :

E11 is the base size, it is a mini candelabra

AssuredElectrical :

Most of the bulbs made for the mini are halogen type though

Customer:

good to know, maybe if I find the bulb I can keep the fixture

AssuredElectrical :

very possible. lot more options today than we had 5 years ago, lots of competion on the lighting market now

Customer:

wish me luck

AssuredElectrical :

will do, belive you will find something