Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Can I use a four wire plug on a five wire machine?

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Customer:

Hello, Tommy.

AssuredElectrical :

hello

AssuredElectrical :

you have a machine you need to power?

Customer:

I have a saw that uses a five-wire plug.

AssuredElectrical :

it has a plug on it now?

Customer:

However, the only receptacle I have is a four-wire.

Customer:

I have taken the plug off.

AssuredElectrical :

but it has 5 wires in the cord?

Customer:

Yes.

AssuredElectrical :

can you look on the front of the plug, there should be a number, similar maybe to 6-40P or something

AssuredElectrical :

any numbers or letters and numbers

Customer:

The only thing is HBL2811

Customer:

I can give you the colors of the the wires.

AssuredElectrical :

let me look at the plug first, just one min, thanks

Customer:

Thank you

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, I have the plug requirements and wiring, so the issue will be the machine.

The machine requires 3 phase, with neutral and ground

AssuredElectrical :

so, apparently it has 208 3 ophase and the need for 120 volts as well inside

AssuredElectrical :

if you eliminate anything, something will not operate on the machine

AssuredElectrical :

do you have 3 phase at your location?

Customer:

I honeslty don't know.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, is this a business, commercial?

Customer:

It's a glassblowing business.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, need to look at your breaker panel, se if you see breakers that are 3 wide, top to bottom

AssuredElectrical :

each section is about 1" so the breakers will be 3 wide or 3" wide approx

AssuredElectrical :

they make them in single, double and triple

Customer:

One moment, please.

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

Hello, I actually have received my answer from someone on-site.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I will rate this experience as excellent.

Customer:

Have a good day.

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician