Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

changed the capacitor on ceiling fan -still doesnt spin. light

changed the capacitor on ceiling fan -still doesnt spin. light switch and remote work for light only

Hello Adam...........my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Based upon your comment that the remote only works for the light, I assume that your ceiling fan is hard-wired (no wall switch) using a remote receiver wired within the ceiling fan canopy and the remote should control both the fan and the light, correct?

2) Does the ceiling fan have (2) two pull chains, one for the fan and one for the light kit?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you are correct about (1), however (2) there are no pull chains

1) Thanks for the replies Adam.

2) I was hoping that the fan would have pull chains. I've seen many remote controlled ceiling fans where the remote receiver installed in the ceiling canopy has failed. Usually when we run across this type of problem, we can isolate if the receiver is faulty by de-installing the receiver, re-wiring directly to the pull chains and see if the fan and light works correctly via the pull chains.

3) I am on the Kichler web site, and when doing a search on model number 35017, comes up with no results. Is this an older fan?

4) So the only way to control this fan model is via the handheld remote control?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the only way to work it is with the remote and the wall switch turns on power to then turn on the light with the remote. fan is 2004

1) Is the wall switch a combo switch that can turn both the fan speeds and the light independently from each other while also using the remote control handheld or is the existing wall switch just a normal Single Pole ON/OFF switch that will shut the entire fan and light kit ON or OFF? Therefore if a Single Pole wall switch is OFF, then the remote does not function at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you are correct. the normal switch prevents the remote from doing anything when in the off position. this particular fan (i read online) warned against using specialty wall switches/dimmers.

1) That's kinda what I thought......thanks for the replies.

2) About the only recommendation I can provide since you have swapped out the capacitor and the unit does not have any pull chains to isolate if the fan even works, would be to replace the remote receiver and the handheld transmitter. Not sure if you want to pursue that or what?

Here is a link to a ceiling fan distributor for many parts that we recommend. They are a Kichler distributor.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/kichler-ceiling-fans.php

3) If you would like, I can opt out of the question and perhaps another expert here may have a better idea?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well I don't know what I am going to do. I think I may just scrap the fan. Too bad, it may have originally been a 500 dollar fan. Thank you for trying.

1) I apologize for not being able to come up with a better recommendation other than swapping out the receiver and handheld. I understand your situation since $500 is a very expensive fan unit.

2) Home Depot sells a replacement receiver/transmitter kit for $30 (see below link). I'm just not sure if the receiver will fit underneath your fan canopy? Most remote control ceiling fans have standard wiring, ie, requires 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground wire in the ceiling box, then the output of the receiver is connected to 1 fan neutral, 1 fan hot and 1 light kit hot (3 wires). Might be worth a shot. If this does not work, could always return it to Home Depot?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-Hand-Held-Remote-Control-Transmitter-and-Receiver-RCK01/202851042#.Ue3ONfko59A

Adam.... thank you for the positive rating............much appreciated!

If you decide to swap out the receiver, just reply back to this question and I'll be more than happy to assist you. No need to create a new question, just come back to this one.

Take care and have a great evening.............Thanks.............Kevin!