AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Im replacing a ceiling fan that does not have a wall switch.

I'm replacing a ceiling fan that does not have a wall switch. I'm attempting to add a remote with this new fan. I've connected the ground wires, the black and white supply wires from the house to the black and white wires on the remote box, then my issue is with the wires coming from the fan/from the remote box. I have black, white, and black/white wires coming from the fan (that has a light on it). The remote has black, white, and blue wires coming out of it. The instructions on the fan say that the black/white wire should be connected to the corresponding wire for the wall switch... 9only the pull cords and the remote). The remote box blue wire is for the light... but I didn't know if I could just connect the blue and black together with the black wire on the fan? Where do I connect the black/white wire?

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

The black/white on the fan will connect to the blue wire on the remote receiver, then the black wire on the fan connects to the black wire on the remote receiver.

AssuredElectrical :

black/white is for the light, black is for the fan on the fan wires===blue is for the light and black for the fan on the remote receiver. That is standard and corresponds with the operation of the remote buttons.

Customer:

ok. on the paperwork it said the black/white was for the wall switch, but it'll be ok to connect the blue to it? Seems ok- but I didn't want to risk it. Thank you.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, connect the blue wire to the black/white, correct

AssuredElectrical :

be sure your pull chain is set for high on the fan

AssuredElectrical :

since you have a remote which probably has speeds on it, the fan switch needs to be on high

Customer:

ok. Thanks for your help. This issue turned a 'five minute fan

Customer:

' into an hour fan...

AssuredElectrical :

I do understand. They can be bothersome sometimes, especially with the wires being different colors

Customer:

Thanks. Would rather ask than burn my house down... :) Blessings on you!