Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I bought an old farm, which has several outbuildings. Power

goes to the first building...
I bought an old farm, which has several outbuildings. Power goes to the first building via an overhead line, and then down to a sub-panel. That's just fine.
However, I would like to re-connect the power to building #2, which had power bu tthe overhead line was cut. I've managed to re-hang the line, but discovered that the power comes via a cable which appears to have 7 strands of steel in a plastic jacket. How can I connect this to building #2, which has no sub-panel?
7/2/2013
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.

1) What are the loads in Bldg #2?

2) What's the distance between the bldgs?

There are about 8 circuits there - I think 5 are 20 amp and 3 are 15. I don't believe these are connected however, as there is one of these overhead lines going to building #1, and another which continued on to buildings 2 and 3.

You'll need a sub panel in Bldg #2. Usually there is a farm pole to which the service is distributed to the number of building rather than jumping from one to the other.

Can you just explain what you mean by "farm pole?"

You would set a Utility pole like there is at the road. From that pole the overhead feeders to each building would originate. On the Pole would be a Combo Meter Loadcenter for the overcurrent protestion to the property. It would be located to allow for the shortest distances to each building. Generally there would also be a dusk to dawn light on the pole.

Sorry, but one more question. The pole and the dawn-to-dusk light are there , though I don't see anything that looks like a load center. However, even with that set-up, you are saying I would still need a subpanel in building 2, is that right? if so, how did it get power before with no subpanel?

Illegaly and not code compliant. Many farms are wired by the owners and many don't have the knowledge and don't ask how to do it right. I can tell you why it's right but not why it's wrong.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician