Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

i was rewiring outlets on my bathroom vanity and i accidently

i was rewiring outlets on my bathroom vanity and i accidently touched the light swicth next it with the screw driver. there was a spark and now the lights and outlets in my bedroom vanity and bathroom dont work. the two new outlets i installed do work though.

Rich :

Hello Rich here .. lets see if we can get this worked out for you

Rich :

do you have a voltage tester with two wire probes ?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i have checked every gfi i can find and like i said the breakers didnt trip

Rich :

OK .. so you probably have a loose, broken or disconnected wire at that other switch

Customer:

could it have come out when i shorted it or did i blow the switch?

Rich :

not likely that the switch was damaged

Rich :

a test meter would be good to easil;ly determine where you have power and if the switch is still good

Rich :

Are your breakers labeled so you can turn off that circuit to explore and inspect the wiring that goes to it ?

Customer:

yes. there is a little scortch mark on the ground wire to the new outlets that are working. the old switch has a positive and a negative attached, but there's no ground wire wired to the switch.

Rich :

There should be a grouind wire pigtailed to the switch if there is a green screw on the switch, but that would not affect the function of the switch

Rich :

I would turn the breaker for that circuit off and take the switch out of the box and see if all wires connections are secure

Customer:

ok

Rich :

let me know what you see there

Rich :

It is getting late for me .. hopefully you were able to resolve the issue .. I will be back online after a few hours sleep