Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

have ceinling fan with black, blue white and green wires, ceing

Customer Question
has red black white and...
have ceinling fan with black, blue white and green wires, ceing has red black white and a bare wire for ground. black stays hot all the time, red turns off with the switch. there is only one wall switch. how do you wire it/?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/17/2013
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Will you be using a remote control for this fan or pull chains or the one wall switch?

2) What type of wall switch do you have? Is the wall switch a single pole ON/OFF switch or is it a dimmer switch or a 3-way switch?

3) Does the fan have a light kit?

4) Possibly use the pull chain to control the fan and the wall switch to control the light if not using a remote?

Let me know how you want to control the fan and light kit (if applicable) and we'll go from there.......Thanks.................Kevin!

one switch, nothing else, does have light below fan, that came with fan , and is installed.

1) I need to know how you want to control the fan & light? Refer to my previous questions as there are a few different methods of controlling the fan & light?

2) No remote control then, correct?

3) Does the fan have (2) two pull chains?

yes,it does, it is a brand new fan out of the box with 4 lights below it./

one on/off switch on the wall, 2 pull chains

Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 4 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

You have 2 choices in the situation.

1. You can wire the fan or the light to the switch and the one that doesn't can wire to the power and use the pull chain for it.

Here, you wire black for fan to the ceiling red and blue for the light to the ceiling black.
Both whites together.
Ground to the green from the fan.
That would make the fan work on the switch and light on the pull chain even with the switch off.

If you want the opposite, reverse the wires, black fan to black ceiling, blue light to red ceiling.

This would make the light work off the switch and the fan works by pull chain even with the switch off.

Or you can wire both to the switch and use the wall switch for both and the pull chains to turn one or the other off.

This, you combine the black and blue and connect to the red. Black in the ceiling is unused and you use the pull chains to operate the light or fan if you don't want them both on at the same time with the switch

Switch shuts off power to both.

Let me know if more info is needed, just hit reply.
Thanks

hooked it up both , ways . don,t work lights won't come on or the fan. tested the wires again, 1st way all the wires showed to be hot, with black not used, shows hot , red shows hot when wall switch is on.

Ok, it sounds like your neutral wire (white wire) is loose at the switch or ceiling.

What type of tester are you using?
Hope it is a 2 lead with readout?

2 leads with a light that shows 120

Ok, understand.
If it is a light type tester, it can light up with less voltage than 120 volts.

A digital tester is for trouble shooting but lets try with the one you have although it could be less than needed.

Ok, you should show 120 on the white and black wire in the ceiling
One lead to the white, one lead to the black

You should show 120 on the white and red wire in the ceiling when the switch is ON and 0 when it is off.
One lead to the white, one lead to the red

If there is power on those, then you need to check your pull chain switches on the fan and light.

i don;t show anything on red and white when switch is on.

Ok, thanks.
Do you show black and white power?

The switch may be bad if the red is definitely connected to the switch.

Test at your switch.
One lead to the white wires in the back of the box and one lead to each screw on the switch.
See what you get there

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX an elect. to the house to fix it.

Ok,
I am sure we can work it through, it sounds like you have a good understanding and knowledge at this point.

Just let me know, be glad to work and see if we can get it going.

Whichever you prefer.

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician