Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a cargo trailer that has an progressive dynamics intelli

wizard 45amp converter installed....
I have a cargo trailer that has an progressive dynamics intelli wizard 45amp converter installed. I have upgraded the trailer to run solar panels and added a 5 bank deep cycle battery system. I have a samlex 2000 inverter installed. When my trailer is plugged in and I turn the inverter on the inverter takes priority over the transfer switch. If I leave the trailer plugged in while the trailer is running off the inverter I will blow a fuse between the PD converter (30amp in line fuse by batteries) (The inverter is wired in with 10 ga wire). I am changing the PD converter to a 70 amp to prevent this. I am changing all the wiring to accommodate. I believe I can use 8ga wire with and inline 60amp fuse. Will this work. The New PD 70 amp has two outlets so I could run double the wire if that will help and run 2 separate fuses. Will this new system work. Thanks.
6/12/2013
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) If changing the converter to a 70 amp, 4 AWG stranded copper conductors are required for a 70 amp load.

2) 8 AWG Stranded copper is only rated to a maximum of 40 amps.

3) A 60 amp requires 6 AWG stranded copper

4) If you use the 70 amp converter but only use 60 amp fuses, the 60 amp fuses combined with 6 AWG stranded copper will blow before reaching the maximum of the 70 amp converter load. If you want the 60 amp fuses to blow prior to the 70 amp converter reaches its maximum load, then that is OK. Otherwise, use 70 amp fuses and 4 AWG stranded copper in order to reach full load capacity on the converter.

5) Let me know if this helps..............reply back and I will get back to you. Where I live in Illinois, we are currently in the process of a tornado warning and bad storms, so I may be loosing commercial electricity. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Dean.........Thank you for the excellent rating..............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...........Thanks..............Kevin!

Hi, one quick question. My new 70amp converter has 2 outlets to where I could run two separate wires to the batteries. Would I be able to run 8gauge wires ( 2 sets) with 60 amp fuses to the batteries and have it work in this system. The ports on the converter cannot accept 2 ga, 4 ga maybe 6 ga but that's it. Thanks.

Hello Dean..... you have a couple of options here. You can either double up on the 8 AWG wires as you suggested or you can use the following type of piercing connector to use the larger gauge wire. The trade name of these splicing connectors in the electrical industry are called Burndy Connectors. Refer to the pic below:

graphic

Burndy's are only available at your local electrical supply house. Home Depot or Lowe's does not sell these. The insulation from the wire is stripped and they are inserted into the Burndy and tightened via an allen wrench. Very simple splicing type of connector to use. These come in various wire sizes. If purchasing these, just mention the wire gauge you will be using and they will sell you the correct connector size.

Let me know if this helps..............Thanks....................Kevin!

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor