Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

In a Square D 50 Amp Pool/Spa outside panel there is a White

neutral from the breaker attached...
In a Square D 50 Amp Pool/Spa outside panel there is a White neutral from the breaker attached to the neutral bar. There are 3 terminal lugs to fasten to.
Should my Neutral wire attach to the terminal lug where the where neutral wire comes out of the breaker?
6/12/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Customer:

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Customer:

You are referencing the lugs as the ones on the breaker, is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-e5rkcny0- :

yes, there are 3 terminal lugs

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Customer:

Yes, there is one lug on the breaker usually has a white dot or located inline with the white pigtail wire that connects to the neutral bar

Customer:

That lug is where you connect the neutral to the spa

Customer:

the other 2 lugs get the 2 hot wires to the spa

JACUSTOMER-e5rkcny0- :

Ok, I assumed that but when i looked the screws that tighten down the wires on the breaker the 2 outside screws are anodized and the middle appears to be for a nuetral.

Customer:

Is the one a little lower than the other 2?

JACUSTOMER-e5rkcny0- :

no

Customer:

Ok, is it along the same line as the pigtail wire coming out?

Customer:

There is some type of distinguishing mark or something to show which is neutral

JACUSTOMER-e5rkcny0- :

so the botXXXXX XXXXXne is whatever lug the pigtail wire is connected to is where I connect the neutral

Customer:

Correct

Customer:

The neutral is used by the breaker and the breaker does not turn it off or open the connection

Customer:

straigt through feed

Customer:

so, there is continuity all time between the lug and pigtail

JACUSTOMER-e5rkcny0- :

Ok, I dont have the breaker in front of me but i have enough information to make the right connection.

Customer:

Ok, here is one of square d GFCI

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thats a 50 GFCI picture i found online, neutral on left and terminal right above it is for the spa neutral

JACUSTOMER-e5rkcny0- :

Yep thats it...Ok I got it. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX information. I'll retain this for future use

Customer:

you are very welcome, glad to assist

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Folks, I returned to complete job after work. The information I received from your expert was incorrect. Using a flashlight it's easier to see the terminal lugs and the tiny writing indicating what wires went where. The center terminal lug was marked specifically for the neutral and then of course each end terminal was indicated as hot.

Again I received bad info.

If you could please look over the conversation:
Information was given just like you stated-tiny writing indicating what wires went where
That is exactly what was given,

<div class="JA_chatExpertMessage"Customer:

Customer:

The picture was one of many GFCI breakers made by Square D and no way to know which you had in place.

Sorry if you had any misunderstanding of the information, as it was stated many times that there is some mark or other way to identify the neutral.

yes after re-reading you are correct. I assumed ALL square D GFCI would be constructed the same way as your pic.

But not harm no fowl.

Good lighting is the key to seeing terminal markings.

Thanks again!

Good small LED flashlight is what I use, couldn't do work without one.
Well, that and reading glasses now, lol.

Glad you have it all done, enjoy the Spa!
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician