Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
18324022

We are moving and I have just replaced a chandelier we are

Customer Question

We are moving and I have just replaced a chandelier we are keeping with another cheaper one. I am in an old house (no grounding that I can see - still knob & tube), and have hooked up the two wires (ribbed one to white lead which is negative I believe) and the other to the black. Ths problem is that when I turn on the light, it is very feeble and slow to come on. I have rechecked the connections and they appear OK. Any Ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Kevin : Hi. And welcome to ja
Kevin : when it does come on does it reach full brigjtness?
JACUSTOMER-z2u8y265- : No. I have a 60 watt bulb in and can barely tell it's on. Have tried another bulb just in case, but result the same.
JACUSTOMER-z2u8y265- : ru still there? Working off a different PC now as the other one is old and perhaps not able to pick up your chat.
JACUSTOMER-z2u8y265- : Kevin, I went to the 'Answer' page and only see my question alongwith the disclaimer. I don't see an answer. Am I missing somethinghere? Thanks
Kevin : Most likely, you have a bad connection on the neutral wire somewhere. It could possible be inside the new fixture. Try reconnecting the old fixture, or another light to see if it solves the problem