Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am building a new house in Vermont (Wardsboro). Before building

the house, I built a...
I am building a new house in Vermont (Wardsboro). Before building the house, I built a barn and had a new 200 amp service run to the barn. I now want to run power to the new house from the barn. I need 125 amps at the house. The distance is 400 ft.. I intend to use direct burial aluminum. Can some one tell me want size aluminum cable I need to use for the 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground.
5/16/2013
Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician

Kevin : Hi and welcome to ja
Kevin : Give me a sec and I will calculate that
Kevin : You will need 3/0 cable due to the length. But if you cant find that, you may need to use 4/0
Customer: 3/0 is hard to find. So I should buy 4/0 4/0 4/0. Does the neutral have to be 4/0? How about a ground?
Kevin : Direct burial cable comes with all 4 conductors. The neutral is usually the same size and the ground is smaller
Kevin : Just ask for a 4 conductor 4/0 direct burial cable and you will be fine
Kevin : Seems like a lot of expense. Have you considered just installing a separate service?
Customer: re: your question about a new service. this wire will cost about 1200.00. much less than new service.
Customer: why 4 conductors. Only a two phase service. or are you counting the ground as a conductor?
Kevin : Yes. Two hots 1 neutral 1 ground
Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician