Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Kohler whole house automatic generator wont stop running now

Customer Question

Kohler whole house automatic generator won't stop running now that power is restored to home.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

I just tried to speak with a Kohler tech support agent, and it appears they don't offer that service over the phone.

Jason :

I may be able to gain further assistance from them if I can have your zip code.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Why would that help?

Jason :

I would be happy to offer my professional opinion on what is causing the issue.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

okay, thanks.

Jason :

If I have your zip code, I will know which authorized service center to contact for help.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

22551

Jason :

This sounds like a relay that has a bad coil.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

That fast?

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

That service center is good!

Jason :

Or, a contact is welded in the closed position. That's not information from Kohler, that's my opinion... after 20 years of full time electrical work (union trained).

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

How urgent is this to get in touch with my local electrician?

Jason :

There is most likely a relay that monitors utility power. The worst thing about this is the waste of fuel. Did the transfer switch go back to utility power, but the generator won't shut off?

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

yes.

Jason :

There are always control wires between the generator and the transfer switch. If you can trace those in the transfer switch, they'll likely lead to the relay.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Sounds like I'm above my head here. Girl. ugh. I need to contact someone who can deal with it I guess.

Jason :

It's okay that you're a girl. In fact, I am always impressed when a female tackles an electrical issue on her own.

Jason :

I hope that doesn't sound offensive, I certainly don't mean it to be.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

I hate to not pay you but I'm in no better shape.

Jason :

It seems most of the women I know would just look for help immediately, from an electrician. You were willing to address it yourself.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

I thought maybe a walk through of something simple could be achieved here....

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Thanks anyway....

Jason :

That's okay. I understand. If you could post a photo of the inside of the transfer switch, I would be able to further assist. I did punch your zip code into Kohler's website, and it returned no results.

Jason :

No rating is better than a bad rating, and I will continue to help you as much as I can. Would you be able to post a photo of the inside of the transfer switch?

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

I really don't like messing with it while everthing is "ON". This means unscrewing the box right?

Jason :

Yes, the cover of the transfer switch would have to come off. I can sympathize about not wanting to open it when the generator is running. In that state, all of the largest wires inside are energized. That would be utility incoming, generator incoming, and Load outgoing.

Jason :

I wouldn't be afraid to open it, but again, I've been an electrician for 20 years.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Yeah, what I thought. I think I'll have to pass on this one and go local. Sorry.

Jason :

No problem. Best of luck with the repair. I'm sure your local electrician will take good care of you. Sorry we couldn't knock it out.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Thnaks. Just I'm a wimp when it comes to live wires.

Jason :

One more thing...

Jason :

Not a wimp, just smart enough to know what you are comfortable with.

Jason :

Does this generator run on natural gas?

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

LP

Jason :

OK, there should be a shutoff valve outside the unit, on the gas piping. If you close that, the generator should turn off.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Will do if necessary and can't get local guy to call/come by.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

Thanks.

Jason :

You are most welcome. Happy for the opportunity to help. Have a great night.

Jason :

If you find that we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.

JACUSTOMER-r2wyu6w5- :

k

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again, take care.