Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

Hello, Can an ungrounded outlet be made safe with an AFCI

Hello, Can an ungrounded outlet be made safe with an AFCI circuit? Thank you, Greg

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Could you please tell me by what you mean made safe? Why is it not safe now?

Sparky :

I'm sorry I misread your question

Sparky :

What you can do is put it on a GFCI, or a AFCI and put a sticker on it that clearly stated no equipment ground. Depending on the location of the outlet.

Customer:

I know it is usually acceptable to install a GFCI outlet at an old style 2 prong outlet but was curious whether an AFCI breaker in a panel protects equipment as well.

Sparky :

It would be fine as a AFCI is more sensitive. It is actually code, if a outlet is changed it is required to be on a AFCI breaker.

Sparky :

Depending on the location. Almost all outlets nw have to be on a GFCI or a AFCI.

Sparky :

now

Customer:

Will an AFCI circuit on an old 2 cable branch conductor protect equipment? What protection is different from a GFCI circuit? Greg

Sparky :

It's going to be the same since there is no equipment ground. The only difference is the arc fault actually detects arcing. So if there is a loose connection, sometimes a gfci is not going to detect it.

Sparky :

If you have sensitive equipment, I would recommend having a new circuit ran for your equipment. Some equipment is more sensitive than others.

Customer:

Have you received my follow up questions?

Sparky :

No.

Sparky :

Would you like for me to give you a link that explains the difference between afci, and a gfci?

Customer:

Hello!

Sparky :

Neither is going to protect your equipment. A gfci protects against shock, and a afci protects against fire.

I don't know if you got my previous responses, but I am still here.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/