Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Jandy EE-TI 2500T-R Electrical Wiring for Single Phase Unit

Hi! I was reading your...

Hi! I was reading your dialogue with a Customer regarding how to wire the EE-TI, I have the same unit has he did and face the same exact challenge. :) I wish he had responded at the end to let you/us know! Did you ever get confirmation about where the white-wire goes? From what I can tell, the red and black lines from my 60Amp breaker would go into Line 1 and 2, but then where does the white wire go? Is it just the red and black + the copper ground wire that gets hooked up?

I do know that this is a 230V/Single Phase unit.

Thanks alot!!

5/13/2013
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

You are asking about the main electrical connection, correct?

<a href=Wiring Diagram"/>Yes indeed! The high-voltage connections, of which I am confident that I have found 3 of the connections for this (Two into the Main Contactor, and one into the ground lug). I have attached pictures of what the inside of the unit looks like, as well as a better pic of the wiring diagram for the single-phase units.

Here's the rub; there's a 4th electrical connection that May be an output (for 24V), but I'm not 100% sure. (The 4th connection is a red wire coming out of the 24V transformer that has a screw-connector on it and nothing else (like it's ready for me to connect it to something). The picture and manual I'm about to upload has more details, and I greatly appreciate the help! I'l jack up the price, this advice is worth more than $30!

I'll take a pic of the power panel, doctor that up and upload it shortly. :)

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX!

Kris

Pic of my 2500 power panel

Hi Kristopher. I should have been notified that you replied, but it appears that didn't happen. Can you stand by while I review your reply?

I just looked at your drawing, which is better than the one I found Online, in that it is specifically for single phase units. The one I found is for 3 phase units.

Based on my research, you don't need the white wire from your power source. I see no place to connect a neutral. That being the case, please connect your red and black wires as you previously described, along with the ground wire in the appropriate location. Please cap the white wire in a wire nut by itself.

I will look for whatever I can find, relative to the 24 volt output, and reply again shortly. I'll also study your photo while I wait for your next reply.

Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Sorry! My bad. :)

Will stand by, here is last pic! This means alot to me, as I don't want to short-out the power panel again!

Thanks again!

Kris

Kris, thanks so much for the excellent rating, and for upping the price. That wasn't necessary, but is of course, much appreciated.

As for the red wire from the transformer, it is not a 24 volt output. It appears to be on the input side of the transformer, and is apparently there to feed a different voltage into the input side of the transformer.

The output side of the transformer is the blue and yellow set of wires.

Jason,

My pleasure, your advice is worth Alot to me. :)

Okay this makes more sense about the 2nd input, as the EE2500 has both a high-voltage and a low-voltage line ports connecting into the unit. To be honest I screwed this up the first time and connected a 115V line to that red-wire, which as I understand now is for 24V Input. :( When I did that the motherboard blew hard (the relays all snapped and then smoke came out of the voltage regulator on the power interface board).

So then I realized how badly I had failed, and ordered both a new power interface board and a new 24V transformer. The transformer has E-0191 written on the side, which I found on-line. The part about this wiring diagram that infuriates me is that there are no dotted-lines leading from that red wire to the edge of the diagram (which would tell me that it's an external input). I also don't know where I would connect the ground wire for the 24V supply. This is where I'm stuck.. :(

A pic of my power panel as a reference, and here is the link to the actual manual for my unit if you need... I'll tip on this too to bring it over $100, your time is worth it!!

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/media/Zodiac/Global/Downloads/H/H0335800.ashx

My power panel

Wow, your generosity is far beyond common. I hope my gratitude is obvious. Thanks so much.

I am studying the last two links you posted. Do you mind standing by? I need to figure out the grounding for the 24 volts. I don't think you need to do any grounding other than the main ground, but I need to confirm.

I don't see the red wire connected to your double pole breaker. The Cutler Hammer panel looks good, perhaps a bit crowded, but in good shape. Someone did a good job wiring it.

Do you have the red wire available in the panel, but just need to attach it?

Hey Kris... something I just noticed -

The wire attached to the double pole 60 amp breaker appears to be #10 AWG (American Wire Gauge). Is this correct? If so, it's a few sizes too small. #10 wire is only rated for 30 amps. I could likely find a circuit requirement in the documentation you posted, but perhaps it would be faster if you could tell me if you see an amperage listed on a data plate on the unit. Is that information stamped on the unit somewhere?

Jason,

I think your right, it wants 8 gauge wire at least (I'll have to run a new line, thats okay - as your right). The unit can run at 37 Amps normally with a maximum of 60 Amps - so I need a thicker gauge wire there...

At first I didn't have the red wire connected to the breaker, I've fixed that now so that both red and black wires are into the breaker.

Good catch!!! :)

Thanks for looking into this! :)

Hi Kris. Sorry for the delay. I was just spending a few minutes with my kids before they head off to bed.

Can you clarify what you meant by not knowing what to do with the ground for the 24 volt side of the system? I'll study the schematic while I wait.

Jason,

No worries at all, I have to put mine to bed soon too! :)

My understanding is that I need to add both a low and a high voltage lines to the heater. You've helped me understand the high voltage lines very well now (I'm such an idiot!), so the last question I think I have is how to connect the low voltage lines into the power panel.

Once I figure out how to drop the voltage to 24V from the 115/120V I get off the power panel, I Assume that the hot/white 24V line would go into that dangling red wire on the transformer, but where would I connect the Black wire from the low-voltage line? Or do I not even need one because the high-voltage line will suffice to ground both?

Or is it that I just need to wire a single 24V wire and connect it to the red dangling wire off the transformer and not care about the ground?

Thanks!!

Kris

As I study the sketch, I see no "field installed 24v ac". The red wire that is capped on the transformer should stay that way. It's there in case you are going to feed the transformer with a different voltage on the high voltage input side. One of the input wires is probably common to two different voltage inputs, and each of the other two are choices to use based on the voltage being applied to the input side of the transformer. For example, black and orange wires are used for a 230 volt input, but black and red or orange and red may be used for a 120 volt input. Not a definite on that, but it appears leaving the red capped on the transformer is a definite.

Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Fantastic!

Again Jason, thank you Very much for your help and input on this!! I'm going to doctor-up an image of this power-panel with instructions for the next poor fewl like me who needs to wire one of these up!

As I understand it now, I would have run 8 or 6 gauge wire to the high-voltage inputs, which is the Red and Black wire that connects to the Main Conductor unit in the heater and to the 60Amp breaker on the other side. I cap the white-wire, connect the ground wire and it should be Good to Go!

I get the new power controller motherboard and transformer on Wednesday, so I'll try and wire things up then - and report back to you on how it went. :)

I'll rate this and tip you now, you have answered all of my questions very thoroughly! I do have one closing question actually that will round-out my understand of this - the Bonding wire. I assume that's actually a ground wire that connects to the pump and ground so they are "bonded"? Is that right?

Thank you again, and have a GREAT week!!

Cheers,

Kris

Yes, a bonding wire simply means two points are tied together, or made "common (to each other)" by that wire. So, if you ground the pump with a jumper that ties to the main circuit ground somewhere, that jumper is basically a bonding jumper.

Really, I want to make sure to express my gratitude for your generosity. We don't see it to this extent here very often, and that's okay. We realize many people are out of work or underemployed, and they often come to us out of desperation. I'm so glad this worked out the way it did, not so much with my earnings, but that you found us and we were able to help.

I'm very much looking forward to your next update. Thanks again.

Your most welcome!

I'm sure that the economy doesn't help with people not being able to contribute much, but to me it's extremely fair to pay you $100 for this information! If you think about it, $100 is probably the profit margin that an electrician would get in a house visit after the company takes their share, gas and your time.

Plus if you consider that I just melted $300 worth of parts (and hoping to hell it's not More that I cooked)! If I had known about Just Answer, or more correctly, if I had taken the time to do the research that I did After I burned it out, I would have saved myself $200! :) As it stands, it cost me $400 for being over-confident in my knowledge, a lesson I will not soon forget.

What's even More funny is that I peeled-off the sticker on top of the chip on this power controller board that I burned out, and what do you know - its an Amtel! I know how to program on these, and in looking more closely I may have only burned-out the LN2676 voltage regulator on the board. I'm going to order one for $5 from Digikey and see if I can repair it for kicks. ;)

Stay tuned, I'll post a big update on Wednesday night. :)

Cheers,

Kris

Sounds good. If you run into any issues with it, let me know.

Jason, I have great news! Your advice was spot-on, and my pool heater is now 100% operational and working good!! I was really slammed with work myself last week, and couldn't get back to making that diagram I spoke about to both confirm everything I've done is good, and so that others can benefit from your advice and my good fortune. :) Again my thanks for all of the help and research you've done! The pool at our rented house is already getting warmer, and my kids are and will be very grateful all summer!! Have a great weekend, and expect to see me again the next time I need help. :) Cheers! Kris P.S. My account status is screwed up, and now it won't let me attach my diagram to a post. :( The clip-board button is missing! I asked support for help, and will post it as soon as my account is fixed.
Hey Kris. Thanks so much for the update. I'm glad to hear it's up and running. I assumed you must have been successful, or I probably would have heard from you sooner. I can agree with you that there is always plenty to do or "fix" when you're a homeowner. I just came in from being outside all day, powerwashing, and sprucing up the front of the house. That means scraping, painting, and staining a deck and a substantial amount of concrete. Spent all day out there and feel like I barely made a dent in it. Such is life, I guess, when living the American dream of homeownership.

Thanks again for your generosity. I'll be signing off now to take my youngest out to dinner. She's been excited about it all week. Take care.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician