Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Ihabe a 1896 queene anne. Designed as sfh. Upgraded to use

Customer Question

Ihabe a 1896 queene anne. Designed as sfh. Upgraded to use as nursing home in 1960's.I see variable upgrades throughout as they incorporated call dystems sprinkler systems etc. There is a 200 amp entrance box. Downline I have found 3 fuse boxes. I can observe knob/tubing, bmx, romex, flying splices hidden junctions.....in otherwords a big old mess. Things were functional but now am losing sectors of power in the house traceing it seems fruitless. I was told about a safety survey vs. Typical mortgage type inspection. I want one. I don't know anything more to do than try to detach all wiring from all know boxes and pull (rewire) all new runs to code. How would I know all the old stuff is dead. Do I leave it in place. Run like hell from the whole project (not an option) I cannot find an electrician who eill evrn quote the survy/inspection. Too many different types of wiring is the usual reply. No code requirements in our rural area. I just don't want to kill us all. I am truly considering taking a vocte h ele trician course but am a disabledvet so proba ly won't meet admission standards. Any ideas? Can Ijust rewire a room at a time safely. Any helpful advice is most appreciated. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me. Victoria
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

This does sound like a case that calls for a complete rewire.

Jason :

To determine whether a wire is de-energized, you can simply place a pocket tester near it, and it will beep and light up if power is present.

Jason :

Do you need to see a link to that type of tester? A more appropriate name is "non-contact voltage detector".

Jason :

As for finding someone to help you... if you trust Craigslist, that may be the way to go. There are many out of work electricians advertising on that site. I suspect most of them would be willing to work for a very fair rate.

Jason :

If you choose to go that route, I would definitely ask for references first.

Jason :

Another site that lists reputable contractors is Angie's List. They screen their contractors before allowing admittance to their site.

Jason :

If this were a project you were planning to tackle on your own, there are plenty of experienced electricians here at Just Answer who would be happy to help with advice and guidance.

Jason :

However, it doesn't sound like that's your intent, which is why I recommended sources for finding experienced help.

Jason :

Another site you could contact is Home Advisor.com.

Jason :

They also list contractors in all phases of home repair and improvement.

Jason :

Rewiring a room at a time is a good way to go. If you are going to do that, I would not mix lighting power with outlet power.

Jason :

I should ask whether it will stay in use as a nursing home, as that involves a whole new set of Codes that wouldn't apply to a single family dwelling.

Jason :

It doesn't appear the chat is loading properly. Are you able to see this text?

Jason :

I will change the question format from chat to q/a, which is more like a message board. That way, I'll know for sure you are able to view my replies.