Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am attempting to install a Honeywell RPLS740B Timer. I have

I am attempting to install a Honeywell RPLS740B Timer. I have a bundled set of white wires a hot wire, load out wire and a ground. I can get power to the timer but the light will not come on. Where am I going wrong?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Can you stand by while I look up your timer Online?

Jason :

Are you able to post photos of the box here, with all wires shown?

Customer:

can stand by but posting photos might be a little difficult.

Customer:

I can give you a description of the wiring inside the box.

Jason :

Sure, that would be great.

Customer:

The Hot is black and shared by another light switch. The load is single black to the light. I have a multi wire white twisted bundle and a bare copper wire bundle.

Jason :

Did you tie the timer's white wire into the bundle of whites behind the switches? I'm still looking for info on your timer.

Customer:

No haven't tried that as of yet. I have a photo of the box but I'm not sure how to load it to this sight.

Jason :

Do you see a paper clip icon on a toolbar, near the box where you type your replies?

Jason :

If you click the paper clip icon, it will allow you to browse to the location on your computer where the images are stored.

Customer:

Yes. I'm trying to send the photo to my computer now.

Jason :

If you touch the line black wire to the load black wire, does the light come on?

Jason :

I can't imagine the bare copper wires are not referenced back to the ground bar at the panel, but it's possible. If that's the case, it would prevent the timer from working. However, the whites must be connected at the panel for sure, or nothing from that box would work.

Jason :

If you have a good bare ground connection in the wall switch box, all the way back to the panel, then the timer should work with the timer's white lead connected to the bare grounds. But I wouldn't leave it connected that way. Timer white should connect to box whites.

Customer:

Full Size Image
The Light does come on if the Hot (black) is connected to the Load wire

Jason :

OK, I would try connecting as instructions indicate, but putting timer white with the bundle of whites. Let me know if that works.

Jason :

Honeywell's site is down right now... the page that has manuals, that is.

Customer:

Ok, Let me run in there and try that. be back in short order.

Jason :

Standing by.

Customer:

Ok Tying the white wire into the bundle worked but only after also tying in the Neutral wire as well. Got power to the switch and to the light.

Jason :

So it seems to be working properly now?

Customer:

As of right now, yes. I have yet to attempt to program anything on the timer.

Jason :

OK. Do you want me to stand by while you try to program it?

Customer:

No, that might take a while. I need to put everything back into the box to keep the cat from trying to play with it. If all else fails I will get back on here and try again.

Jason :

Very good. Is there anything else I can do for you at this time?

Customer:

I don't think so. Thank you for your time especially on a Sunday. I will hit the Excellent Service button for you.

Jason :

I really appreciate that. Enjoy your Mother's Day!

Customer:

Good day to you and your family. Thanks again.

Jason :

Thank you.