Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
18324022

Good Morning II am going to be wiring a small recreational

Good Morning

II am going to be wiring a small recreational cabin this weekend. With the cost of wire going up I am looking for ways to save. This cabin is a remote cabin. There will only be 6 electrical outlets and 3 lights / light switches being run throughout the entire structure. I am wiring it with 2 separate systems, one a 12v solar, which will run approx. 5 12v lights, and a 12v tv. The 110v system will be powered by a 500w inverter and if the battery system fails will be augmented by an 800w generator. My question is, will it be safe for me to use a 14 / 2 wire such as Lowes Inc. Item #: 70008
Model #:(NNN) NNN-NNNN 100-ft 14-2 Indoor Non-Metallic Wire. This is so very much cheaper than the traditional 12/2 wire.

Kevin :

Hello, and welcome to JA!!

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

Is my attempt to save money safe or way our of line lol

Kevin :

14-2 wire is fine for lighting and general use receptacles. Just remember it goes on a 15 amp breaker

Kevin :

if any receptacles will be for appliances or for a bath outlet, it should be 12-2

Customer:

not a problem there. The max wattage we will be using in the near future is 800w AT 120V

Customer:

We are using a composting / waterless toilet so there is no water in the bathroom

Kevin :

you will be fine with 14-2 then. It is good for 1800 watts

Customer:

Good Deal thanks