Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

Good morning, Should a lightning rod system installed in a

Good morning, Should a lightning rod system installed in a single family dwelling share the electrical system ground rod? Also, the lightning ground cable is installed behind vinyl siding and foam insulation before it daylights to the ground rod. Is this a safe installation? Thanks, Greg

Rich :

Hello .. Rich here .. I would have to say .. No and No

Rich :

the lightening rod down legs should each have their own ground rod

Rich :

if the rod it hit .. then all that energy will be travelling down the wire to the ground you do not want it to find a way to your electrical panel .. or have it enclosed under your siding .. I have seen lightening split large trees in half and open holes in power poles

Rich :

how many rods are there and how many down wires

Customer:

Thanks Rich. The SEC is also installed behind the siding and foam insulation board. Should it be? Greg

Customer:

I was not able to see the ground Rod but the lightning rod cable and armored ground cable for the electrical distribution system penetrate the grade together and I suspect share the same ground Rod. There is only one ground cable to a number of lightning ground rods that are in series.

Rich :

well that is not so much a hazzard sems the siding people got lazy the SEC has a ballanced load and will ot usually generate any heat

Rich :

Ya .. I wouild drive another rod some distance from there and reconnect the lightning system to it ..

Hello .. I need to correct my reply

the NEC says that the lightening arrest system should be bonded to the electrical grounding system ..

Personally I would still move it and then use a wire sized to you electrical ground wire and bond back to the electrical ground rod