Matt S
Matt S, Electrical Technician
Experience:  I have 26 years of experience in heavy industrial, commercial & residential electric repair install and design.
72906466

how do I solve issues with welders & gfci. osha requires all

Customer Question

how do I solve issues with welders & gfci. osha requires all 110vac circuit under 30amp to be on gfci and the small 110vac welders will trip a gfci.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Matt S replied 4 years ago.

Matt S :

Hello my name is Matt. Lets see if I can help.

Matt S :

Osha requires that all receptacles at 20 amps and below be protected by a GFI So probably you have a small welder that is a 110 model that has a standard male cord end connector that you can plug into any receptacle correct?

Matt S :

The way to solve this issue is to either hard wire the cord into the power source (This way something else with a standard male plug end cannot be plugged into it) or change the male cord end on the welder to a twist lock type 120 volt 20 amp and then change the receptacle to the matching female twist lock type. The code is in place to protect against standard 110/120 volt items from being plugged in without GFI protection. If you change the type of plug to a non standard type then it will only work with specilized equipment. If you want to be able to plug your welder into a standard outlet somewere else then you can make a short adaptor cord just for your welder to go from twist lock to standard.

Matt S :

Does this help?

JACUSTOMER-px3xkv4y- :

I'm on site & unable to evaluate your answer. But I will by the end of the week.

Matt S :

Sounds good!