Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I need help with the installation of a Thomas & Betts CS902

“red dot” lighting unit I...
I need help with the installation of a Thomas & Betts CS902 “red dot” lighting unit I purchased this weekend to replace an old lighting fixture I had on the outside of my house. I’m certain the old lighting fixture was wired inappropriately.

The instructions for the CS902 show three wires protruding from the house and I have four - 2 black and 2 white protruding from the house. How do I connect the four wires to the CS902 unit? Do I connect all four wires to the unit?

Also what wire do I connect to the green grounding screw? As indicated in the unit instructions I have connected the red photocell wire to the two black lampholder wires. I also have connected the two white lampholder wires to the two white wires protruding from the house. Now I’m stuck as to what to do with the two black lampholder wires and the two black wires protruding from the house and if maybe one of those black wires from the house should be the grounding wire to the green screw?

Bob M
5/8/2013
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician

Rich :

Hello .. Rich here .. lets see if I can help you figure this out

Rich :

is this the only light on this circuit or switch ?

Rich :

do you have a two wire voltage tester ?

Rich :

do you remember how the wires were connected to the old fixture ?

Customer:

Rich, The wires I'm sure were incorrectly connected to the previous lighting unit. I did it a few years ago and bulbs kept blowing out every three months.

Rich :

well there are two choices for normal wiring methods here one, there is a switch wired into this box two, there is another light beyond this one that is controlled the same as this one . since this one is on a photo eye , it may be another light also controlled by a photo eye

Rich :

if therte is a switch wired into this box then it makes a difference in the wiring

Customer:

On the wall swith plate inside the house I have two switches. One controls the lights on the inside of that room and the other controls just this outside lighting unit.

Rich :

let me take the obvious first .. green wires ,, together , pigtailed to the box if it mis a metal box .. and pigtailed to a screw on the fixture or fixture mounting bar IF provided otherwise stuff them

Customer:

No green wires. Just the green ground screw inside the receptacle.

Rich :

coulod be barte ground wires ..

Customer:

What?

Rich :

OK .. if there is no other light involved then I am going to say taht two of the wires are hot , black and white ,.. and the other two are going to the switch you could confirm this by taking a look inside the switch box and seeing if the switch for this light has a black and white on it .. or two blacks

Rich :

sorry the ground wires can be green or bare

Rich :

let me know about the wires on the switch and I can finish telling you how to connect the light

Customer:

The four wires coming from the wall to the outside light are balck and white. Two black & two white. The CS902 lighting unit has a red photocell wire that the instructions say to connect to the black lighting unit wires and doesn't mention connecting them to the black wall wires. The instructions do say to connect the two lighting unit white wires to the wall white wires.

Rich :

yes but if there is a switch leg in the lighting box then one pair of those wires from the house need to be connected differently .. were any of the wires connected together but not connected to the old light fixture ??

Customer:

Correction: The instructions do say to connect to the black lighting unit wires to the black wall wire. But then I still have one black wall wire available. i don't know what to do with that and what about a ground wire?

Rich :

the ground wire may not connect .. if there is no ground wire from the house or screw it tio the metal box

Customer:

So I may not have to grond it?

Customer:

Also what do I do with the additional black wall wire?

Rich :

that depends if there are a white and black on the switch .. or two blacks on the switch

Customer:

Do you mean behind the switch plate in the house?

Rich :

yes .. you may be able to see without taking the switch out ., oh have you turned off the breaker for this circuit b??

Customer:

Can you wait 5 minutes while i take the inside switch plate off and check.

Rich :

yup

Customer:

P.S. I did turn the circuit breaker off when I was trying to install the outdoor light. Back in a few minutes.

Customer:

Both the 2 black and 2 white wires are connected to the switch in side the house for the outdoor light.

Rich :

that is more strange

Customer:

Should I take the one lampholder black wire and connect it to both the wall black wires and not be concerned about a ground wire?

Rich :

OK .. connect the house whites together with the fixture whites .. connect the house blacks together to the black fixture wire .. connect the red wire to the other lamp wires ./. do not worry about the ground

Customer:

OK. Can't do it now because it's too dark out. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. Bob

Rich :

Ok .. you can get back to me here tomorrow if vyou need to

Customer:

Thnaks. Good night.

Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Rich
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician