Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I had a carport installed and wanted to install an overhead

I had a carport installed and wanted to install an overhead light and a security light. There is an existing light by the rear door that is controlled by a swith inside the home. I had an electrician rough in 2 boxes for the overhead light and the security light and he suggested to tie into the wiring of the existing light fixture and give me 2 switches right inside door for the overhead light and the security light. Vinyl siding has been installed so I can not see how he tied in to the existing light fixture which is still controlled inside house and works. I can not get a hold of the elctrician any more so I am left with the rough in wiring in a 2 gang box and I can not figure out how to wire the 2 switches or what kind of switches to use. I have showing from the switch box the white 3 wire romex with a white black and ground two grey outdoor romex with a white black and ground. All 3 ground wires are twisted together. So far so good I have an electrical sensor that is telling me all 3 black wires are hot the 2 white wires from the the grey romex ( which go to the roughed in boxes for security light and overhead light) are hot the only wire not hot is the white wire from the existing white romex that I assume is from the existing light. Obviuosly he pigtailed into the hot wires but it is all covered now so I can't tell you really what he did so my qquestion is is this correct if so how do I wire the 2 switches and what kind do I need or is this all wrong and I need to remove siding etc. and redo stumped lastly the inside swich still controls the existing light and the wires pigtailed into it. Am I looking at connectingXXXXXswitches maybe?

electrifier :

Do you want a total of 2 switches for the lights involved or do you want 3 switches for the existing light and the 2 new lights?

Customer:

I want a total of 3 switches. Keep the existing switch which will control evrything - -that way I can turn the emergency light on from inside house. Install 2 new switches in the roughed in 2 switch box that will control the security light and overhead light from that location as well.

electrifier :

So you have a new 2 gang box for the new switches, wires from the new lights to the box and a 14/2 with ground to supply power to the box. Is this correct?

Customer:

Please reread my initial question - -the electrician pigtailed or did something behind wall that I can not see with the 2 grey romex and existing white romex to existing light fixture I have in the 2 gang box a grey romex that the black and white is hot a grey romex that that black and white are hot a white romex ( that I am assunming is coming from the existing light since the greys were run to the other roughed in boxes) that the black is hot and the whiyr is not so in totoal 5 hot wires(3blk 2 wht) 1 not hot white

Customer:

Please reread my initial question - -the electrician pigtailed or did something behind wall that I can not see with the 2 grey romex and existing white romex to existing light fixture I have in the 2 gang box a grey romex that the black and white is hot a grey romex that that black and white are hot a white romex ( that I am assunming is coming from the existing light since the greys were run to the other roughed in boxes) that the black is hot and the white is not so in totoal 5 hot wires(3blk 2 wht) 1 not hot white 3 ground wires are pigtailed together in 2 gang box

Customer:

You are taking to long to answer - -I am requesting that I work with another expert. Please make my question avaialble to somebody else.

electrifier :

I am happy to allow another expert to work with you. Good luck.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions. Give me a little time to review what has happened. Do you have, or can you upload some picture so I can see exactly what you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Rick - I have attached 3 photos 1 pic shows what the electrician left me with pulled into a 2 gang box These are 3 14 gauge wires each one with a white, black and ground. The grounds are pigtailed. There are 2 grey romex one each from the overhead lights in the carlort see attached 1 white romex that I am assuming is from the existing light fixture (see attached) which is controlled by another switch inside home.

The electrician obviously tapped into the light fixture wiring (how I do not know because when I got home they had put up the siding over that area so I can not see what he did) Both grey romex wires white and black are hot the white romex the black is hot and the white is not so we have 5 hots 1 not

I want to know if possible can these be wired to 2 switches controlling the 2 carport lights leaving the switch that controls the light fixture and thus this new switchbox functional. If this is all wrong an acceptable answer would be to remove the siding and rewire a certain way tapping into that light

I did not receive any photos. What you need to do is use the paperclip icon, and follow the directions from there. That is the only way to load photos to this website. Thank you.
Let me make a suggestion. Lets just concentrate on the box that he left you to put in the switches. If I have this right it's a 2 gang box, and you got a few Romex wires coming into it. Do you have any light fixtures attached to the junction boxes where you are installing the lights at? If not have you checked to see if you have power at the 2 locations?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have the fixtures installed yet but have checked and I have power at both roughed in boxes

attached pice correctly but when i hit reply says you don't heave permission to access this server could email toy you if have address

Right now, when you turn off the light from inside that you want to control the 2 new lights, does the power shut off to that box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Do you know for sure that the grey cables are going to the new junction boxes? Are the black wires from the grey cable connected to the white romex black wires?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is my dilemna I can not see how they tapped in when i got home they had already put up the siding and covered whatever the electrician did I am inclined to just say f**k it and remove the board and siding and start over

There is no need, I'm asking about inside the 2 gang junction box. That's where I am a little confused. How many cables are coming into the box? Do all the cables have white, black, and ground? Which color wires are connected together?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you have 3 cables into the box 2 greay one white each one has a black, white and ground all grounds are already pigtailed other than that all other 6 wires are loose the black wires from all three are hot the white wires from the grey cables are hot the white wire from the white cabel is not hot

No where the new lights are going to go. Do you have 1 cable to each box, or is there more than 1 cable at each box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 cable to each box

Do you happen to have a multimeter. A voltage meter, so we can see what is going on. Something is wrong with this situation. But I want to rule out the possibility of your electrical sensor giving false readings. They are not very reliable. If you do not have one, what you can do is connect one of the new light fixtures so we can see if it goes on. You have the right amount of wires, and it sounds correct, except for there being power going to the white wires and there being power at the new light junction boxes since the wires from the grey cables are not connected to anything except for the ground. Or did i misunderstand something here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Let's just call it quits. You are missing the same thing I am being able to see what the electrician did to tap into the hot

I have to leave on vacation tonight so I don't have time to continue and don't want to leave you hanging for a week. Please tell adminisrator about the access denied crap when trying to send pics.

I will leave you a good reating for trying and promptness which electrifier is sadly short of - I mean 3 days and he is still asking whats in the box

Thanks

No problem I will do that. Thank you for your time and I apologize for not being able to complete this project with you. When you get back you can request me, if you like
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience: 10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/This is a link to my profile. You can go ahead and rate now. Thank you for your time.