Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Wiring up for a Jacuzzi. Please forgive my ignorance, this

Wiring up for a Jacuzzi. Please...
Wiring up for a Jacuzzi.

Please forgive my ignorance, this area is not one of my strengths.

I have a new 100 amp circuit pulled from my main supply outside, done for me when I had solar installed. I wish to run wire from this circuit to my separate garage where I will set up a 125 amp fuse box with a 50 amp fuse for my 4 wire jacuzzi. The remainder amps are for later.

I believe that 4 awg stranded copper will do for the 3 of the 4 wires for the wire from the circuit to the fuse box, is that correct?

The 4th wire is a ground I believe, what guage wire should that be?

From the fuse box to the GFCI to the jacuzzi I believe that 6 awg stranded copper will be perfectly fine for this 50 amp jacuzzi line. Is that true for all 4 lines? If not, what would the ground line be?

Thanks in advance.

4/24/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Are you running residential cables or pipe and THHN wiring?

Customer:

pvc and thhn.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Then with the THHN, #8 wire is good for the 50 amps you need, a #10 ground wire is all that is required for ground sizing.

Customer:

Thanks. And for the initial line from the circuit to the fuse box, is #4 good?

AssuredElectrical :

What size breaker on the wire?

AssuredElectrical :

Is this conduit alos?

AssuredElectrical :

also, sorry

Customer:

1 1/4 conduit for about 60 feet from the circuit to the 125 amp breaker box. The breaker on the jacuzzi wire is to be 50 amps. I will be installing it all.

Customer:

I hope I answered your question properly.

AssuredElectrical :

Not sure, so let me give you the max on all the wiring------------#8 THHN is max at 55 amps, #6 THHN is max at 75 amps, #4 THHN is max at 95 amps (since they do not make a 95 amp breaker, you can up to a 100 amp)

AssuredElectrical :

Does that give the answer? Or is it something else?

AssuredElectrical :

If you want 125 amps worth, you need #2 THHN wire

Customer:

I see. Almost exactly. So, is #4 good enough for this from the circuit to the fuse box? It is a 100 amp line with 2 hots and one common (right?). Does each "hot" carry a portion of the total amperage (100 amp/2 = 50 amps)?

Once again we are reaching my knowledge limits. I need that 100 amps total, I will be wiring another fuse for my electric car.

AssuredElectrical :

You have it correct. The ground wire can be smaller, on 100 amp the ground wire can be #8 THHN

Customer:

Ok, cool.

AssuredElectrical :

So, run your 3 wires for hots and the neutral, the #8 for ground

Customer:

So in summary,

Circuit to fuse box, #4 for hots and neutrals, #8 for ground will do.

AssuredElectrical :

That is correct, they will carry 100 amps

Customer:

Ok, this was awesome. Thank you very much. I'm totally paying for this service. Thanks very much.

Aloha,

Customer:

Matthew

AssuredElectrical :

You are very welcome. Glad to be of service. Have a great day

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician