Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

What is the legal way to run and attach wires in a semi-finished

utility room?...
What is the legal way to run and attach wires in a semi-finished utility room?
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

When are you meaning by attach to the wall?

AssuredElectrical :

Are the studs to attach the cable to?

Customer:

Hi, I am finishing off the basement room in my townhome and running two lines out to my garage where the breaker box is. I am running them through my utility closet that has rocked walls and an open ceiling. I pulled the wire into the room over the lowered ceiling in my entrance way and through the wall of the room and then out through the exterior wall. I am wondering the most legal way to attach the wires in this space.

Customer:

I should also mention that I will be tying the wires in a junction box to each other too.

AssuredElectrical :

I am not quite understanding what it is you need to attach to?

Customer:

I need to attach the romex to something.

Customer:

I know that typically in an unfinished space they would run through and be attached to studs or joists.

AssuredElectrical :

That is what I am trying to understand, what is there? Are all the walls sheet rocked and you want to mount something on the wall?

AssuredElectrical :

you installing receptacles, switches?

Customer:

Yes. The wall as it comes into the room and the ceiling joist as it exits the space

Customer:

No recetacles or switches.

AssuredElectrical :

so where is this cable going?

Customer:

The wires are going from the room to the breaker box located on the exterior wall of my tuck-under garage. This is in a townhome.

AssuredElectrical :

I cannot see the space, so lets go with what happens on finished walls.

AssuredElectrical :

The cable must be protected when needed, we use conduit for sleeving and attach the conduit to any boxes, then the cable slides into the conduit

Customer:

O.k. would that be wires enclosed in a aluminum flex conduit and attached or just tacked to the wall with wire staples.

AssuredElectrical :

This protects the cable from damage

AssuredElectrical :

Even the MC cable needs protection, that is what that type cable is called.

AssuredElectrical :

It is easy bent and distorted

AssuredElectrical :

Conduit piping is needed down walls

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I thought. I just wanted to get it right the first time since pulling the wires has been a pain in the backside.

Customer:

Do, I need the conduit when attaching it to open joists though or just up to that point?

AssuredElectrical :

No, open joists are fine for running the cables

AssuredElectrical :

just wehn you go down the wall

AssuredElectrical :

when, sorry

Customer:

Is it acceptable to run wires under duct work if their is 3/4' space between duct work and the wire?

Customer:

I do know that you can't run it inside the ducts. That is a Bad Cop No Doughnut situation.

AssuredElectrical :

If the cable is still in the joist area and not below the bottom into the open ceiling space.

AssuredElectrical :

Duct is insulated?

Customer:

The wire currently is running beneath the ducts in the open joist area.

Customer:

The duct is a standard duct.

AssuredElectrical :

I am referencing the bottom of the joist. If the cable runs on the bottom whee sheetrock would go, you have to put a runner board.

Customer:

I also did make sure that there were no seams in the duct where the wire was passing under

AssuredElectrical :

I f the cable is between the joist it is fine

Customer:

What is whee sheetrock. It is running on the joist side of the ceiling between joists.

AssuredElectrical :

sheet rock

AssuredElectrical :

where the sheet rock would be placed

Customer:

Thanks for that info too. I just did not want to charge my whole home if you know what I mean.

AssuredElectrical :

I can understand

Customer:

I am having an electrician do the final tie in to my electrical service including installing the whole home surge breaker. That part is one that I am just not comfortable with. The pulling of wires by me has saved me a ton of money.

AssuredElectrical :

It can get expensive especially with the cost of copper today, ridiculous

Customer:

One last question, The room that would be a bathroom I am running 12/2 and a 20 amp service into. Is there a particular light that I need to be using?

AssuredElectrical :

3 years ago, copper wire was half of what it is now

AssuredElectrical :

No, all lights are good for 15 or 20 amp circuits

Customer:

I paid 25 for a spool of 100 ft 14/2 and the same for 12/2 at 50 feet.

AssuredElectrical :

One reason electrical costs are high today

Customer:

thanks again for all of your help this evening. You have a great weekend.

AssuredElectrical :

you too, thank you and glad to assist

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician