AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a Sperry DM-4100A digital multi-meter. I want to test

I have a Sperry DM-4100A digital multi-meter. I want to test for a bad 15 or 20 breaker. No breakers are blown, but I am not getting current from one of them. I know you put the common black in the common slot...not sure which slot for the red. Help. Thanks, Mike

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Put the red lead into the far left V position. Put the black lead in the COM position. Set the dial for the 200 on the right side at the V with the squiggly line under it.

AssuredElectrical :

Then on the panel, put the black lead on the bar with all the white aires and use the red lead to touch the breaker terminals one by one

AssuredElectrical :

This should read out approx 120 volts

Customer:

Does the red go into the one marked A, with an upside down horseshoe?

AssuredElectrical :

You mean V

AssuredElectrical :

Bottom has V COM MA and 10A for the leads

Customer:

Right, I appolotize for that. It's a V.

AssuredElectrical :

yes, that ios the one for the red lead correct

Customer:

If I had the red lead in the 10A slot...would that have been the reason for the large spark and blowing two breakers?

AssuredElectrical :

That is used for DC amps, so it could easily spark

AssuredElectrical :

Did it blow the internal fuse?

Customer:

What is the internal fuse? Does it mean anything in that I was able to reset both breakers?

AssuredElectrical :

Is the meter OK?

AssuredElectrical :

The meter has an internal fuse to keep from blowing it up

Customer:

Not sure how you can tell. Is there a simple test to know if it is OK?

AssuredElectrical :

does it have a display?

AssuredElectrical :

any numbers showing?

Customer:

Both display and numbers seem to be working.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, if it has a display it is fine

Customer:

I'm hesitant to try again for fear it is going to put out a large spark, but if I do it the way to told me I should be OK to go. I do appreciate you help. Thanks, Mike

AssuredElectrical :

You will be fine--------once you have the leads in the proper points on the meter, test the breakers by the diagram. If you are going to test 2 pole breakers (the bigger ones) set the dial for 500 instead of 200.

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I should be OK. Does this creative system for getting help provide me a way to get back to you if I have additional problems?

AssuredElectrical :

If it is the same situation, you can come right here to this page. Bookmark it and you can post right here. The page stays pretty much forever, so all is not lost.

AssuredElectrical :

If you have additional situations, they want a new question to be opened for new problems.

Customer:

Thanks again and I will certainly give you a 5 star rating. You helped me a lot. Thanks, Mike

AssuredElectrical :

You can ask for me in the question also and other experts will see your preference in the future.

AssuredElectrical :

You are most welcome, glad to help out