Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a YL100-2 220 motor. It is currently set to run clockwise.

I have a YL100-2 220...
I have a YL100-2 220 motor. It is currently set to run clockwise. I need it to run counterclockwise. I have a drawing and photos of current configuration
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you post the photo of the configuration?

AssuredElectrical :

and the diagram may be on the motor nameplate?

AssuredElectrical :

Are the leads numbered? I have looked for a schematic and many of the foreign motors are difficult to obtain.

AssuredElectrical :

Appears we lost you on line, please post when you are able to return and lets try to get you operating. Thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, got the pictures, let me check them out

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

did you received the drawing

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, that is yours correct? That is not on the motor?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

that is mine as the motor is currently wired

AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

trying to search my data base for a 6 lead dual cap motor right now

AssuredElectrical :

this is a single phase , correct?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

yes

AssuredElectrical :

ok, I know the wiring shows it wired that way, just being sure as so far only the 3 phase motors have the U,V,W leads. Still searching

AssuredElectrical :

with a standard US motor, you swap the red and black leads or T5 and T8. Much different here

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

the motor is new and runs very well on 220, the manufacture of the pump it is running said to change the shorting bars to horizonal if vertical and vice versa

AssuredElectrical :

it came with a pump?

AssuredElectrical :

Maybe the one shorting bar V1 to U2, moving it to V1 to U1?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

yes

AssuredElectrical :

and they had a pump backwards?

AssuredElectrical :

ok, I do know the motor is IEC (international wiring) so looking further now

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

found the motors nameplate

AssuredElectrical :

ok

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

as the motor is currently wired, my drawing doesn't seem to match either of their diagrams

AssuredElectrical :

correct, that is what is confusing

AssuredElectrical :

They show the caps between V1 and Z1 and Z1 and V2

AssuredElectrical :

who installed the jumpers? or were they factory?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

thats why I came to just answer

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

factory

AssuredElectrical :

doesnt match the nameplate

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

I agree, plus where is the input connect on the first diagram

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

I only see one leg

AssuredElectrical :

it would be on the U1 as the second diagram

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

The key to reversing is swapping the field connections, that is why the crossover bars being moved

AssuredElectrical :

in US motors the line connections do not change, just swapping 2 field wires

AssuredElectrical :

same here, motors operate the same just different way of wiring

AssuredElectrical :

looking at the nameplate, I do not understand why the cross over bars were not in the same locations? Confusing when it comes from the factory different

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

Why is the u1 and u2 coil leads smaller than the others?

AssuredElectrical :

probably the better question, is why are the other leads so big? only 15 amps

AssuredElectrical :

the smaller leads match what most motors have

AssuredElectrical :

what the pump dealer told you matches the nameplate

AssuredElectrical :

just why it doesnt match the way it came in is odd

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

so what do you propose? Rewire per motor diagram 1 and see what happens or diagram 2

AssuredElectrical :

found something, just a min

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

or switch input from w1 to u1 on my drawing

AssuredElectrical :

ok look at this

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

where do i connect 2 cap

AssuredElectrical :

makes me believe to move those jumpers to the U1 to V1 and U2 W2 positions

AssuredElectrical :

Like the nameplate states

AssuredElectrical :

you have not moved the cap wires have you?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

no

AssuredElectrical :

ok, dont move any internal wires, they connect already through the connections in place no matter which way the jumpers go

AssuredElectrical :

Thats the only recommendation I can come up with at this point. I always follow the nameplates on any motor

AssuredElectrical :

even though this one had the jumper bars in the wrong places compared to the nameplate

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

would you move the cap to match the diagram also or just the jumper bars

AssuredElectrical :

there 2 caps correct?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

sorry yes there are two

AssuredElectrical :

and they are not connected like the nameplate?

AssuredElectrical :

can you follow all 4 wires off the caps?

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

yes, but the caps are sealed. Can't see + or minus. They are colored one brown wire other is blue. both caps are the same

AssuredElectrical :

if it is wire like the nameplate, there is nothing to move,

AssuredElectrical :

if they are 2 wire caps, the orientation doesnt matter on wires

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

I assume that name plate lead Z is our W the capsare currently attached between W2 and U1 and W2 and U2 not W1

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

or z1 as shown on diagrams

AssuredElectrical :

ok, neither matches the nameplate, this is becoming a problem since absolutely nothing matches

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

yes I totally agree

AssuredElectrical :

I personally cannot believe they shipped it out so confusing and incorrect. I would talk to the ones that sold it to you personally

AssuredElectrical :

I prefer not to give any recommendation with all the wiring not per the nameplate. I do not wish to have it void any warranties etc.

AssuredElectrical :

I always go by nameplate on any US motor, but this one is very confusing and I can see the delimma

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

ok, I will try again to contact the manufacture in china, thanks for trying

AssuredElectrical :

Wish it made better sense, I hate to be stumped

AssuredElectrical :

I will investigate further on my end as well

JACUSTOMER-d8a6vho1- :

I'll let you know what happens. I may just wire it per diagram and try it, how do i connect back to you to let you know results

AssuredElectrical :

Just bookmark this page and come back anytime

AssuredElectrical :

Our conversation stays, it is not just a live thing

Customer:

Finally rx drawing from manufacture

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician