Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

p1 and p2 thermostat leads on electric motor do you have use

p1 and p2 thermostat leads...
p1 and p2 thermostat leads on electric motor do you have use them to make the motor work
2/15/2013
Steve G., Electrical Engineer

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I have over 30 years of electrical and electronic training and repair experience. I will try and answer you question accurately and precisely.

How do you plan to control the motor?

480 volts 3phase

Sorry, my fault for not being clearer....I mean how do you plan to turn it on and off, and control the speed?

Steve

state and stop button on control box, I am just replacing a old motor
that has no p1 or p2 leads and control box is like 30 feet away from

motor and this motor is not new

Put a meter across P1 and P2 (measuring ohms). Is it open or closed?

closed

it is closed.

Ok, so ideally, what you need to do is wire P1 and P2 into your control circuit so that if it becomes 'open' by the action of the thermostat inside the motor, it will shut down the motor.

Like this: http://screencast.com/t/a0dbzrBxOlMa

Leaving them capped off will not prevent you from running the motor but you will have no thermal protection. If this is not an issue for you, cap them off and ignore them. My advice would be to include the thermal switch in your circuit.

I'll be here if you need further help. Please do not hesitate to ask. I'll respond as quick as I can. I want you to be completely satisfied with my service today.

Regards

Steve

Would it be the same as the old motor was no p1 and p2

How many leads come from your new motor? How many leads came from your old motor?

Is everything EXACTLY the same except for the P1 and P2? If so, just hook the motor up as before.

Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Steve G., Electrical Engineer