Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Breaker box for camper trailer

I am rebuilding an old...

I am rebuilding an old camper trailer. It had a Homeline HOM6-12L100 breaker box in it. Unfortunately, I neglected to draw out how everything was hooked together before I pulled it all apart. I have had EXCEEDING difficulty... actually, it has been impossible to find something so simple as a legible wiring diagram/photograph that I can use. Now, I have 120v input, NOT 240v. Ordinary, three wire (black, white, green) 120v input. NOT 3 plus ground. Currently, there is a double 30A breaker and two 15A single breakers installed. The two bus bars are connected with a jumper wire. If someone could show me where the 120v input black, white, and ground wires should go, and then where the individual receptacle/light circuit wires connect (I'm using 12-2 wg wire), I would greatly appreciate it. ;-)

2/9/2013
Krebs
Krebs, Electrical Master

Krebs :

Hi mt name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you.

So you are wanting to hook the panel up at 120 right?

Where the bus bar has a jumper, that should be where you you hook the main hot up which is the black. There should be to places where the jumper is hooked on each end and two screws that tighten down to hold the wires in place so they don't move. Hook the black wire to either side of the jumper, the jumper is there because you are not using 240v. You have a neutral and a ground left, is there neutral and ground bars in the panel where the breaker neutrals & grounds was or hooked up or did you take them apart also? They need to be hooked up to them bar, all the blacks go to the breakers and the neutrals and grounds go on the two bars that have srews that tighten the wires down.

To tell which one is the neutral bar and what one is the ground bar, the ground bar should have a little copper bar that goes from the bar itself and is mounted to the panel so that it grounds the panel out. If you see this the other bar will be the neutral bar and that is where the main neutral goes and the neutrals from the breakers.

This might be confusing a little if it is maybe you could take a picture then I can make out a diagram for you so it will be much easier.

Customer:

Here is a poor photo of what I have now. It was never pretty, but it did function.

Customer:

Customer:

Was the double 30A breaker acting as a "main breaker"?

Customer:

Since bare copper is in the bar at the top, I can presume that this was used as a ground bar. There is no "neutral bar".

Customer:

The input is basically a heavy extension cord with a normal type plug on the end. Plug it in, and you have power. Three wires, black, white, and green/ground

Customer:

It was definitely a mess.

Customer:

What I am finding out is that perhaps what I should do is to ditch the 30A double breaker, put my black input wire to the busbars, with the jumper wire connecting them, and then connect my white input to the bar at the top, using that bar for neutral, with all the white wires from each light/receptacle circuit going to that bar, and then add a ground bar for all the ground wires to attach to. Does this sound correct?

Krebs :

Yea its hard to see anything with that picture but does help, yes do away with that double 30 because it does no good without 240v. Hook the neutrals up as you said and to the looks of it that buying a ground bar is your best bet because it seems that there is not much room to put all your wires on. You could hook the grounds in with the neutrals and it would work fine but it is against code because this panel should be considered a disconnect panel. Your best bet is to go buy a ground bar and get some self tapper screws and mount the bar anywhere in there doesnt matter where aslong as it is mounted to the panel and that way it will be easier to hook the grounds up.

Customer:

Ok, thank you!

Krebs :

No problem if you need anything else just let me know

Krebs :

If you can please give me a feedback I would appreciate it.

Krebs
Krebs, Electrical Master
Krebs
Krebs
Krebs, Electrical Master