Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

ceiling 3 speed 3 wire switch and diagram

Customer Question
I need a wire diagram...

I need a wire diagram for a 3 speed 3 wire switch and diagram of CAPACITOR for a model TFP-352 ceiling fan my guess is the CAPACITOR is connected wrong and that is why I am only getting 2 speeds

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/3/2013
Electrician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

i will be able to wait for a limited time also I might be coming and going

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Michelle

just hoping you find one today

anything because it is getting to fail time

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,

Michelle

I will not be able to get back in touch until 7:00pm my time or for 10 hrs

Electrician: Norm, Master Electrician replied 4 years ago
Norm
Norm, Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Norm and I'd like to help. I've posted a diagram for a typical three-speed fan circuit. I could not find one specific to your fan, but this diagram appears to be a fairly standard connection. It uses a three-lead capacitor and there are others with four-wire capacitors. If that is your case, I can post another diagram. Another possibility for your problem is that you have a bad capacitor. If this diagram doesn't help, maybe you could post a diagram of what you have and how you've connected it so far. I could then look at that and see if I can figure out what needs to be done.
graphic

the capacitor is whats start up the fan correct. if so I only have a two wire capacitor. and the switch only has spaces for 3 wires one in two out. it does first click wire 1. second click wire two. third click both wires. fourth click is off. I found the resistor wires. and I think I got the switch in but T think the problem is the capacitor wiring

Hi, I'm on my way out the door this morning, but will get back to you this evening. In the meantime, can you post a sketch of what you have done so far? Thanks.

Norm

pretty much give up and took it to just fans. but I did figure out witch wires hooked up to the switch though. but the capacitor was a complete bust

Hi, I'm back. Here's another diagram with a two-wire capacitor that sounds like the setup you have. The black rectangle in the center of the diagram, of course, is the capacitor, and it looks like you have a multi-winding motor. Let me know if this makes sense with what you have.

Normgraphic

some what close but there are only three wires to the switch and the

L 1 2. the switch has off slow, med, high. high is both 1 and 2 powered low is 1 powered and med is 2 powered. 1 and 2 are the resistors and L I believe is the reversing. that is how the switch is wired. there is no power going directly to the switch but there is one going to the motor or the reversing. one is neutral and one is power. but I don't think the capacitor the wires are gray and white

Is there a separate reversing switch on the fan? Most fans have a little slide switch mounted on the bell housing for reversing and it is separate from the pull chain speed switch. And, can you give me the make and model no. of the fan? We'll get this yet.

Norm

yes

Attachment: 2013-02-06_235954_scan0001.pdf

Attachment: 2013-02-07_000020_scan0002.pdf

dont no if this will help but it is the instruction to the fans

sorry had to fold it for it was to tall

http://www.vintageceilingfans.com/mosstropicalbreezetfp-348.html

this is the closes I could find of a pic

and the scan attached I added the whole that wore on the motor on the bottom

Attachment: 2013-02-07_003549_scan0003.pdf

Here's what I think you have. This diagram is for a larger motor than what you have in your fan, but, based on what you sent me, I think the connections are the same. I could find diagrams of fan connections with switches similar to yours, but no capacitor. This diagram shows a three-lead switch with a capacitor and it could be what you are looking for. Let me know.

Normgraphic

i don't it is at all.First you have three wires going to windings.I believe mine is based on resisters and there are only two wires to the motor .Two it 1'st click first resistor low 2nd click second resistor med third click both resistors. what makes this very difficult I can only see in the bell other that the holes in the motor. the butXXXXX XXXXX is were I am needing to get the wire back to gather but it been very hard. I am thinking i am going to have to play with it a couple time a day until I get lucky

white to white was never touched

brown to brown was never touched

grey to grey never touched

green to green never touched

small red ? believe to resistors

small black ? believe to second resistors

small blue from rev switch?

large red throw center fan only ? maybe for lights

large black throw center fan only ? maybe for lights

white threw center fan to anther white wirer

grey threw fan to anther grey wirer

top green ground

the second red wire is to show you that the switch can only take 3 wires

but it is a four speed switch

off , low ,med ,high

maybe tomorrow I will get to show the pics of what I'm working on it was going to be in this message but the camera is not working now

What are the chances that what you are calling resistors are really capacitors? There are lots of connections that use multiple capacitors to get the different speeds.

Norm

here are the pictures

the info tag thought there might be some info I can't think of.

on a capacitor setup will taking a double energy make it a high speed?

I have gone through your photos and the list of wire colors and I have to admit I'm stumped. I do think what you have is close to the last diagram I sent, but I don';t know how to tell you how to differentiate the wires and confirm it. I'm going to have to opt out and open the question to another expert who knows more about ceiling fans. I hope Just Answer can find someone who can help.

Norm

Electrician: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

sure just let you know this is pretty much the only time I can talk but e-mailing was going fine

are you still looking for a professional to help with this problem gina?

Thank you for your patience,

Michelle

how do I e-mail norm

how do I e-mail norm. I made a giant leap in progress but still need help

Norm
Norm
Norm, Master Electrician