Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

i need a diagram for a reversible 120v motor. With upper and

Customer Question
lower limit switches. Using a...
i need a diagram for a reversible 120v motor. With upper and lower limit switches. Using a barrel switch.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Electrical
7/25/2012
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 5 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Can you provide a little more information as to what you need?
There are many different motor manufacturers and their wiring is different as well
By barrel switch, I assume you are referring to a drum switch?
The limit switches will be in place to stop the motor once something
reaches the switch in that direction?
Thanks
to reverse motor wire 5 and 8 are switched from hot and neutral. yes it is a drum switch. wires 1and 3 are hot and 2 and 4 are neutral.
Thanks.
More information is needed.

So, this motor has 4 leads?
Are the #5 and #8 wires on posts inside the wiring area?
Motor make and model may help also, and the wiring diagram is on the motor nameplate.
If you could post a picture of the nameplate, it may help as well.
You can post pictures from your PC or items connected to the PC,
by using the paper clip icon on the tool bar.
Or you can upload your pictures to --- tinypic.com --- and then
post the link here so we can access the picture.
Only takes a second and very easy at tinypic.com
i am at home now. motor leads are 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8- for 120v motor wires 1&3 are made and wire 2&4 are made. thru the drum switch 5 and 8 are made to 1&3 and 2&4 to reverse motor. i need the limit switch to stop move-ment up or down. then be able to go in the other direction.
Thanks.
In order to provide a diagram, the complete wiring is needed.

Missing 6 and 7
and, how are the #5 and #8 wired into the scheme.
I know 5 and 8 reverse, that is the same on any 120 volt motor, but how they connect and to which wires is not a standard.

Is it cw #1,3 and 5 on L1
#2,4 and 8 on L2
6 and 7 connected together?

6&7 are tied. it is done on the drum switch. on the drum sw. 5&8 as the drum switch is moved from up 5 is made to 2&4. at the same time 8 is made to 1&3. the reverse happens when the switch is moved to down. there is a middle postion where no contact is made...i have been working on this for 6 days..i thank you for your help.

Ok, thanks.

Almost there, appreciate the patience but want any information to be correct.
So #6 and #7 are connected together all the time? Just the 2 wires themselves. Please confirm.
If that is the case, you do that in the motor, not in the drum switch.
yes. 6 & 7 are tied together at the motor. i have been an electrician for 44 years and have not anything like this to stump me.
Ok, thanks.
Give me a short bit to put it together.
The biggest issue is the limit switches to stop, but allow to move th e other direction without any special relays or control box.
i would be glad to add relays or contactors if needed i have plenty of room to add what ever???Smile
Ok, thanks.
Let me see what I run into while trying the limits themselves.
Started work now, shouldn't take too long.
thank you
Just to let you know, have the wiring and reversing done.
Now going to see how to get limits to work.
No need to reply, just posting FYI
this is the part i was having problem with. got motor to run in both direction but could not stop at top and bottom and then go in the other direction.
Ok, wish I would have gotten your wiring diagram.
I used a 2X440 drum switch and made a complete wiring diagram, you stated you needed it all.

What is the actual purpose of the limit switches?
I understand to stop it at a certain point up and down, but is there no human interaction
on this setup?
this is on a welding positioning table it raises and lowers table top. Drum switch is what controls the moving (manually done) the limit switch to keep it from going past 90 deg. in both direction.
Ok, thanks.
Can there be human intervention in this setup?

In other words, the limit is hit and stops the motor.
Someone has to do something in order to make it work again and lower it?
Or the opposite when going the other direction?
drum switch is moved to the down position. it is all controlled by the drum switch
Ok, looks like I will have to opt out of the question.
With no interaction, it is not possible to use a drum switch in this application.
You need a reversing contactor setup with up and down pushbuttons.
Drum switches are not designed for this type of operation.
They are designed for human interaction for the forward-stop-reverse
thank you for you help.Smilex5
Ok, good luck.

Do you want this to go back on the board for other experts?

It is up to you, but being honest
I really doubt there is a solution to what you have and want.
Mike, Master Electrician