Richieraz
Richieraz, Service Electrican
Experience:  26 years experience in commercial, industrial & residential
68832316

I am also wiring a food truck . As I understand I need to do

I am also wiring a food truck . As I understand I need to do the following . I need a breaker box with the main breaker being 30 amps ? This hookup to the 220 outlet on the generator (8000 watts) needs to be # XXXXX wiring ? From this main breaker I need to distribute to smaller breakers that run my various appliances ? These include small elec. oven , micro-wave , toaster , coffee maker , hood fan , frig, and lights . How do I determine how to distribute the various load requirements ? I understand start-up and running watts . What size wiring should I use for these smaller breakers ? Does the use of the 220 outlet eliminate the need to use the 110 outlets on the generator ? Thanks Terry xxxx

Richieraz :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will help you the best I can.

Richieraz :

Do you know the wattagesof all the appliances you plan on using?

Richieraz :

If you give me list of the wattages of each appliance then I can give you a run down on how to wire this up.

Richieraz :

I am still here waiting for the information needed.

Richieraz :

It appears you are having trouble getting on here.

Customer:
Customer:

are you there ?

Richieraz :

Yes

Richieraz :

All I see is you stepping in and out.

Customer:

Ok think I can be seen now . type this 3 times but couldn't send . Fan motor-1/4 hp , 600 running , 1000 startup , refrig. -600 running , 2200 startup . microwave 1000 running 1100 startup , coffee maker 850 running , 0 startup , toaster 1100 running 0 startup , also small window air conditioner and various lights .these not know . not all these appliances will be running at the same time .

Richieraz :

See it. Give me a minute.

Richieraz :

Coffee needs to be on it's own circuit because you will be using it all the time. Put the lights, fridge and the fan on one together. The A/C needs to be solo as well. In order to do some of these things without a lot of problems, you will have to use appliances sparingly, meaning do not use the toasterand the microwave at the same time.

Customer:

got you . what size breakers should be used for ttese set-ups and wire size

Customer:

also how should I set up the microwave and the toaster -each on their own breaker ?

Richieraz :

Since you are feeding it with a 30 amp service, use 15 amp breakers and try 12 guage wire (overkill). A 15 amp breaker is rated for 1800 watts but you should never use more than 80% of it's calculated load which is 1440 watts/12 amps. Your A/C if it is 5000 BTUs should only be about 5-6 amps tops. Everything will draw more power on startup but that is expected. If yoy can, write all of the wattages/amperages down and sort them out to use 15 amp breakers and you should be able to balance everyting out. The toaster and microwave, you can put then in the same outlet but don't use them at the same time.

Customer:

Great that helps me out immensely .If I need further answers I'll check back . Will give you an excellent rating . Thanks for hanging in there while I tried to figure out how to communicate .

Richieraz :

No problem. I wire up one of these before. You just have to take the time to equal/balance the loads to the calulated loads the breakers will use. Also, you may want to set it up so that if you go somewhere that you can plug in to power so that you may not have to use you genetator. Keep your options open. Know when to use the generator and know when there is adequate power nearby.

Customer:

How would I set it up to use on site power ?

Richieraz :

You just have to get all of your numbers together and do some math.

Customer:

Just take the plug from the generator and plug into 220 ?

Richieraz :

You will have a cord I assume that will come from the trailer to the generator. Get a cord grip outlet and have it on a short piece of SO or SJ cord and have it ready to be wired in any electrical panel.

Richieraz :

You have a generator, there will be a cord from the truck with a cord and plug.

Customer:

Got you . Although I doubt that I'll need to do that unless I start catering at partys etc.

Richieraz :

True, but you never know. The one I did for a friend, I had to meet him at Atlanta Motor Speedway to hook it up for him. You never know how far you may expand.

Customer:

I hear you , Nice talking to you . have a good day . Terry

Richieraz :

Good luck and God Bless.

The main feed needs to be at least #10 wire but the wire coming from the panel to the outlets can be #12.
I hope that this answer will help you with your question. Please get back with me and let me know if you have anything else that needs answered.