Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My Hunter ceiling fan remote, model 22788, no longer works.

I have replaced the battery...
My Hunter ceiling fan remote, model 22788, no longer works. I have replaced the battery and cycled the dip switches. When I turn on the fan using the wall switch (the only way to control now), it starts on low and after about 12 minutes shifts to high by itself. Any solution to this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Milton
7/1/2012
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. From your description of the problem, I can only think that you have a failing capacitor. Inside the section of the fan above the light kit is where it is. Open it and you'll find a square plastic component, that if it looks to be distorted by heat, will need to be replaced. Below is a link to an online supplier. When you remove to old one be sure to ip the wires, leaving a piece with the color to allow for an easy installation of a new one.

http://www.eceilingfans.com/

Could this be a fire hazard the wat I am presently operating the fan?

The most that will happen is it will quit working at all. One more possibility if the capacitor isn't deformed is that the receiver of the fan is bad. If it is a canopy mounted component, it may be removed and the fan directly wired to verify the failure. If it is a factory installed receiver, the only thing to do is replace it. The link I gave you will also bench test the components for you . This will prevent you purchasing parts un-necessarily.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician