Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Need To Wire LED Lights From Existing Light?

Customer Question
How do I wire three...

How do I wire three LED down lights from an existing ceiling rose?

You are probably aware they are not low voltage.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Electrical
3/19/2012
Electrician: 77Sparky77, Master Electrician replied 5 years ago
77Sparky77
77Sparky77, Master Electrician

77Sparky77: Is this a light kit that is intended for a ceiling fan? Also what are the voltage requirements of the LED lights? What kind of connections do the LED's have?

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : The type of fitting is a GU10 lamp holder; it also can be wired for low voltage. I do not want low voltage halogen because I think they have a very short life. That is the reason I decided to go for LEDs. The fitting has three terminals; live neutral and earth. The bulb I am using is a PAR16 GU10 240v led lamp.

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : This is not a fan kit. I just want to replace an old ceiling rose with three of these LEDs.

77Sparky77: Is your existing ceiling fan on a 120 volt circuit? I have seen a few of these lamps and most are rated for 100-240 volts. Also what brand is this lamp?

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : Ansell. The actual LED bulb is aurora

77Sparky77: All you will have to do is connect the live and the white to the 2 live hot wires on the ceiling fan. There may or may not be a place to connect the ground. The 240 volt confused me for a second until I saw that you where from the UK.

77Sparky77: If there is a white wire coming from the ceiling fan, connect it to the white on the GU10 base.

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : I do not have a ceiling fan. Can I distribute the power that is at the ceiling rose of the existing light, via a junction box to the three 240v LEDs?

77Sparky77: Yes you should be able to do that.

Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 5 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome to JustAnswer!
You can add the 3 pendants to the existing source.
Connecting the new lights to the existing wire that is in the ceiling from the switch, is now to the ceiling rose.

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician