Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

I bought a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan at Lowes yesterday, model

Customer Question

I bought a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan at Lowe's yesterday, model #CPA1020, with a remote control. I tried to change the light settings with the remote. I was able to turn the "up" lighting off and now I am not able to get it back on. The fan now does not respond to the remote and neither does the light. I tried to reprogram the remote and that is when everything stopped working. Of course product support is closed and I can't seem to find the switches on the fan in order to reset everything. Can you suggest something for me to try?

Sincerely, Frustrated
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
hello, have you changed the settings of the dip switches on the remote?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried that. And I think that is why nothing works now
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
I'm trying to find the paper work for that fan but can not find it online anywhere. Did you install the fan or had somebody to install?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We installed it yesterday and everything worked fine, until I tried to change the remote because it was controlling another fan in our home as well
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
most of the fans have receiver installed in the canopy. when you installed the fan did you have to install the receiver in the canopy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I believe it was already installed for us. At least there is nothing in the directions to do this.
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
please check around the fan, there should be small deep switches on the fan, let me know if you find it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already partially taken the fan apart, save for the entire light assembly, to no avail!
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
most of the time they are in on the fan motor housing. unfortunately i can not find the instruction for the fan. i will keep trying.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I do have to go to an appointment now. Is there any way to finish this conversation later...either with you or another electrician?
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
just post back here and i will respond.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, but it may be several hours. Maybe if you find the answer, you could just email it to me and I will respond?!
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
Let me see if I find anything.
Expert:  Alex replied 5 years ago.
There are 2 different locations for the receiver on that fan. One is in the canopy where you hang the fan and another location is in the light kit housing. You will need to take a part the light housing and once you find the receiver it will have deep switches . You will need to match switch settings between remote and receiver.
Let me know if you find it. If not we will continue.