Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Does flexiable conduit for a service entrance meet code

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2011
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Is this the riser to connect weather head from power company?

Customer:

This is a rural setting. The meter is at the pole. So the overhead runs from the pole to the home where it is attached at the second story. Then service then runs done the side of the home in flexiable conduit to where the service enters the home and into the panel.

AssuredElectrical :

Flexible metal conduit is limited to 6 foot length in any application.

AssuredElectrical :

240.43 NEC

AssuredElectrical :

230.43 Wiring Methods for 600 Volts,
Nominal, or Less
Service-entrance conductors shall be installed in accordance
with the applicable requirements of this Code covering the
type of wiring method used and shall be limited to the following
methods:
(1) Open wiring on insulators
(2) Type IGS cable
(3) Rigid metal conduit
(4) Intermediate metal conduit
(5) Electrical metallic tubing
(6) Electrical nonmetallic tubing (ENT)
(7) Service-entrance cables
(8) Wireways
(9) Busways
(10) Auxiliary gutters
(11) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit (PVC)
(12) Cablebus
(13) Type MC cable
(14) Mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable
(15) Flexible metal conduit not over 1.8 m (6 ft) long or
liquidtight flexible metal conduit not over 1.8 m (6 ft)
long between raceways, or between raceway and service
equipment, with equipment bonding jumper
routed with the flexible metal conduit or the liquid

AssuredElectrical :

tight flexible metal conduit according to the provisions
of 250.102(A), (B), (C), and (E)
(16) Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit

AssuredElectrical :

Section 230.43(15) and (16) permit no more than 6 ft of
flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible metal conduit to
be used as a service wiring method. Because of the high levels
of fault energy available on the line side of the service
disconnecting means, a bonding jumper must be installed
where these raceway types are used for service conductors.
The bonding jumper is allowed to be installed inside or outside
the raceway, but it must follow the path of the raceway
and cannot exceed 6 ft in length. In order to minimize the
impedance of the ground fault current return path, the bonding
jumper must not be wrapped or spiraled around the flexible
conduit.

Customer:

I have not measured this but from the photo I have it is over 12 foot I see your reply is there away I can print it. This is just what I am looking for. GREAT JOB!

AssuredElectrical :

Try the copy and paste into a notepad or word program..

AssuredElectrical :

I use notepad, but other programs work also

Customer:

I just did. I own an Insurance Agency and I am on the board of directors of an insurnace company. This was GREAT and I will use this serives again. Tom Powers

AssuredElectrical :

You are very welcome. Been a pleasure. If your are satisfied with my answers , please do
click the Accept for my time.You can come back to this page anytime.

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Please tell me what type of conduit this is in the attached photos.
I was unable to attach the photos graphic
graphic
OUCH. That is NOT a conduit of any type. That is the actual service cable run up the side of the house.
I do not know what year that was installed to tell you whether it was proper at the time or not.
Todays installations does not allow such.
I know the photos are not very good but the cables are running inside this conduit. When I first looked at this I said the same thing. The person that owns the home is an electrical engineer and he tells my agent that this is schedule 40.
I know the photos are not very good but the cables are running inside this conduit. When I first looked at this I said the same thing. The person that owns the home is an electrical engineer and he tells my agent that this is schedule 40. I think I need to call the owner and ask him what it is. I have been in the insurance business 37 years and have not seen this before. I was rised in a family of electrical workers my father was the oldest living member of the electrical workers union when he passed away.
I can say that it is CABLE and not conduit for sure.
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
I think the only thing I can do at this point is to get a reply from the owner. If I find out that this is some type of conduit I will let you know is you wish. I know it is hard for you to see but at the very top you can see where the black cable runs into these white where ever it is.
The black cables you see are the wires in the cable. There are 2 black and 1 bare. I assure you that that is service cable run on the outside of the house. There is No conduit. Conduit is ROUND, the cable is FLAT.
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician