Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

The motor on my boat lift quit. It was a AO Smith motor, open

ended and full of dirt...
The motor on my boat lift quit. It was a AO Smith motor, open ended and full of dirt & spiders, and not readily available locally so I purchased a Dayton motor (Model 1TMY5 - Farm Duty totally enclosed with fan cooling) with the same specs: 1 hp, 115/230v, CW/CCW, 56H, 1,725 RPM, etc. Of course the Dayton motor is wired quite differently and I'm not sure how to connect the new motor to the Bremas reversing drum switch now. The new motor has nine wires, the existing Bremas switch has five wires going to the motor.

I've copied the wiring diagrams using Excel but don't know how to load it onto this site for your examination in helping me out.

I'm using the 115v connections and have T1 (Black), T2 (White), Green (Grnd), T8 (Red) & T9 (Orange) wires running from the switch to the motor.

The diagram on the motor shows:
LOW VOLTAGE
CW Shaft End
P1 to Line 1
White,Yellow,Black to Line 2
Blue & T1 connected and capped
P2,Orange,Red connected and capped

HIGH VOLTAGE (not using)
CW Shaft End
P1 to Line 1
Yellow to Line 2
Blue, Red, T1 connected & capped
P2 capped
Orange, Black, White connected & capped

Reverse rotation by interchanging the Black and Red wires from the motor.

The wife's out of town until Friday night and I've got to get this thing working by then, or else! So any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
8/10/2011
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician

Craig :

Give me a photo of the motor diagram here please. Follow the instructions here:

Craig :

-

see the top right there is a red and white file icon, click that

then you will see this

Craig says:

click browse and go into your folder and click the photo

then you have another box...

then this box comes back and you click INSERT

That will drop it in like I'm doing here

I press enter and it's on the post...

Craig :

Start with the paper clip icon.

Craig :

press that, then follow my directions to load a photo. Close up focused for me please

Craig :

Does this look like your motor diagram?

Customer:

Yes, the motor diagram you included is exactly the same as on the motor I am using here.

Customer:

Yes, the photo diagram you sent is exactly the same as the one on the motor I'm using.

Craig :

Ok, and you want 120 volts connection?

Craig :

through a drum revers switch?

Customer:

Yes, 120v & drum reverse switch it is.

Craig :

Ok give me a bit to work this up and I will give you a diagram.

Customer:

Great! Sorry about that delay... got pulled away from the computer for a bit.

Craig :

I need the Bremas model no. switch you have please?

Craig :

If you have the diagram you wrote too...use the paper clip icon to load.

Craig :

I gave directions above too. This would really help me. I'm having trouble with the wire colors and matching it all up with what you have.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Bremas switch no. CY0178262000

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Craig :

Here you go:

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it a shot in the morning and let you know ASAP how we did. Never would have come up with that configuration by myself, that's for sure!

Craig :

I think I need to make an adjustment , P1 needs to have the line connected to it,

Craig :

I'll get back to you in a bit.

Craig :

So with this motor, we need to take the hot lines in, the black and white, and bring them to the motor, not the switch. The hot black goes right to P1 & the white goes to P2 & orange. Then follow my diagram for the other wires

Customer:

Just checked in again before trying the connections you sent last night, glad I caught your revision frst. I'm headed out to try it now with your revised instructions. As I understand it we're bypassing the switch with the hot lines and taking them straight into the motor.

Craig :

Yes, P1 needs to get hot, then the other leads out to the rev/fwd switch. We may still need to change a jumper or tow on the switch. I see they're are several jumpers on it.

Craig :

All we need to do is switch the red and black positions with the two groups of wires.
white, yellow & P2 , orange.

Craig :

I'm very busy today and I will check back when possible. Remember, red and black switch positions to reverse. That's it. Hot to motor P1 lead

Customer:

Well I found out why we're having so much difficulty trying to make the existing drum switch work with this motor - the switch is incompatible with the motor. Have to buy a new switch from Grainger, I'll see if I can send the wiring diagram over to you so you'll be able to help the next guy without the headache.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
I was afraid we were going to run into some issues. Nice work on your part there and I did want to compliment you on your documentation! It's the best I've seen yet! Usually I have nothing to work with but a bad photo! Thanks! Craig ... and the bonus too!
Craig
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician