Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

How many duplex receptacles can you put on one circuit, in

particular, a bedroom? Can you...
How many duplex receptacles can you put on one circuit, in particular, a bedroom? Can you use 14 AWG or does it have to be 12? Is the overhead (ceiling light and switch have to be on a separate circuit? If so how do you group the ceiling lights, i.e., bedroom 1, 2, and three or maybe a hallway light? What is the standard practice (code)?
5/5/2011
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician

Rich :

Hello .. the size of the wire and the size of the breaker must be matched

Rich :

#12 wire on a 20 amp breaker .. #14 wire on a 15 amp breaker .. what size breaker do you have ??

Rich :

It is wise to put the receptacles and lights on separate citcuits .. the outlets on a 20 amp AFCI breaker and #12 wire

Rich :

lights can be on a 15 amp breaker and #14 wire .. or that circuit can be 20 amp also with #12 wire

Rich :

you can put more than 1 bedroom on a lighting circuit ..

Customer:

I'm flexable and I know the breaker to use to match the wire gage. That's good, but is there a limit on outlets, i.e., can you put 4 or 5 or 6 on a single breaker. What does the NEC say?

Rich :

by the code it is about 10 outlets limit on a 20 amp circuit ..

Customer:

Is it okay to use 14 gage wire? Am I within code? I'm only going to have lamps, a small TV (maybe) nothing heavy?

Rich :

Yes you can use 15 amp circuit .. just I usually put in a 20 .. and if new it needs to be arc fault protected ..

Customer:

What the difference between arc fault and GFCI?

Rich :

GFI around water or ground source ,.. bath, outside , garage , basement . kitchen .. AFCI for all other outlets ..

Customer:

It took a while to get an answer to my original question. Is that it or do you need to tell me anything else?

Rich :

Hmm .. I was on replying 5 minurtes after your question .. .. that is all unless you have any concerns or questions ..

Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Rich
Rich
Rich, Master Electrician