Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

what size wire and breaker for 10 kw 240 v unit heater Also

what size wire and breaker for 10 kw 240 v unit heater? Also what type of disconnect to use.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 6 years ago.

Sir Sparks :

A Master Electrician here to help. I am a double qualified; USA & UK electrician. Please give me a moment to formulate a reply.

Sir Sparks :

10 Kw at 240 volts is 41.66 amps. 125% of this rating is 52 amps so the correct circuit breaker size is 60 amps and the disconnect will also be 60 amps. Wire size will depend on the length of run and the type of wire

Sir Sparks :

Therefore please tell me the type of installation (residential commercial etc) and the approximate distance from panel to heater.

Customer :

less than 60 ft. copper conductos

Sir Sparks :

And will this be romex or conduit ?

Customer :

romex

Sir Sparks :

Romex will need #6 copper

Customer :

thanks

Sir Sparks :

In fact in this case THHN in conduit would too.

Sir Sparks :

If you presently have no more questions and I have answered your question to your satisfaction please click on the "accept" button. This is the only way I get credited for my time and expertise from the deposit you have already made.

Even after "accepting" you can still return to this question at no additional charge should you require more information on this subject at a later date.

Your 100% satisfaction is my goal so please do not "accept" then leave less than positive feedback.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer :

do i have to have a diconnect

Customer :

and what type should it be?

Sir Sparks :

There must be a disconnect thin sight of the heater yes.

Sir Sparks :

Just a simple pull out is fine

Customer :

what is a pull out

Sir Sparks :

thin = within

Sir Sparks :

The cheapest type of non fused disconnect

Sir Sparks :

It just has a pull out link

Sir Sparks :

#12 from Home depot

Sir Sparks :

$12

Customer :

what is #12 from home depot?

Sir Sparks :

A typo $12.

Customer :

thanks

Sir Sparks :

Thank you for using JA.

Sir Sparks :

Any thing else?

Customer :

what type of thermostat to use?

Sir Sparks :

You will need a Line voltage thermostat but it may be very hard to locate one rated AT 60 AMPS. In this case it would be normal to use a thermostat controlling a contactor.

Sir Sparks :

This would require some research by you at a supply soto

Sir Sparks :

store

Sir Sparks :

Home depot won't carry these contactors

Customer :

thanks thats all.

Sir Sparks :

Thank you for using Just Answer.