Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

what trips a breaker when nothing is plugged into that cir

what trips a breaker when nothing is plugged into that circut?

Sir Sparks :

A Master Electrician here to help. I am a double qualified; USA and UK electrician. Also 30 years World wide experience incl. ALL European countries.

Does this breaker have a reset button on it as well as the normal "switch' ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it does not.
OK then you certainly have an erratic short in the wiring somewhere. You need to get this investigated by a licensed electrician ASAP.
Experience: US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is not an option at this time. but thank you.
I will pass this on to other experts but frankly from what I sense here we cannot help you further.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you anyway
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. If you wish to continue with me let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that would be great! thanks mike g.,
katy
Katy, Please tell me exactly what is on the circuit. Does the breaker trip immediately or after a while?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2 outdoor plugins, washer and freezer on one of them, the other is empty. referidgerator, microwave, cooktop.
Are talking about the main breaker or a branch circuit breaker? The items mentioned are more than should be on a branch circuit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
only the refer and the freezer run all the time, the others are rotated. this is a branch circut. even with the refer and freezer unplugged the breaker still pops.
Right away or after a while?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
right away
Is everything unpluged? And I mean everything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it is, i'm sure! i'm a 57 yo cranky old bat that fixes her own stuff most of the time!
You're a kid to me. Well how willing and able are you to troubleshoot the problem and repair it?
You'll need either a Volt/Con 2 wire tester or a Multimeter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cool! i'm younger than somebody, lol! i have a multi meter in storage. will take me a day or two to get it out or i could borrow one from my neighbor tomorrow.

could i have screwed something up when i put in a new breaker about
3 months ago?
I don't think so but we'll chase the short and then we'll know for sure. Come back when you're ready, young lady.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you kind sir! i will be back tomorrow.
OK, catch you then.