Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I need the wiring diagram for a Gould 2 hp electric motor series

Customer Question
8-152862-01 frame Y56H in order...
I need the wiring diagram for a Gould 2 hp electric motor series 8-152862-01 frame Y56H in order to convert the voltage. The one in the cover is unreadable.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/26/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Started
Mike G. :

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please stand by while I reference the motor.

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

I found blogs that refer to a gould motor w/6 terminals... Mine only has 5

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

I'm Tom Thanks for your time...

Mike G. :

Tom, are you sure that the motor is dual voltage with 5 leads?

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

Yes, it came as 120v aneighbor that worked for Siemens converted it to 240v for me years ago. He no longer lives here and I don't have acces to a 240v outlet for it anymore.

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

Pls excuse the spelling...lol

Mike G. :

OK, I'll check further

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

The diagram shows dual voltage. the middle (important ) part is what is unreadable...

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

I tried to contact Gould direct... Could not find a website for them...

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

The motor came on a Guardian 30gal. air compressor about 1981-2 if that helps..

Mike G. :

Gould is out of business. They are now Gould Electronics, owned by a company in Japan. I can only find diagrams on 6 wire dual voltage motors. Rather that have you waiting on the chat line, let me switch to Q&A. I'll contact you via email when I find the information.

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

The diagram says "Motor With Overload Protector " at the top and "Dual Voltage/Non-Reversible" at the bottom...

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

My email is [email protected]. Are you going to email ther diagram once you find it?

Mike G. :

I'll contact you via email through our site.

JACUSTOMER-vrhkkm5i- :

Thanks I am leaving chat...

Mike G. :

I'll get back one way or the other.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Electrician: Craig, Electrical Technician replied 7 years ago
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
This is an assist for Mike:
Look at the 'dual voltage' 'single phase' diagram first & second one. Depending on how many leads you have...

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/motor_connection_diagrams.htm
Are there any ID numbers on the leads. I found a 6 wire equal to your motor and the info you gave on it being non-reversing may be the missing factor. Let me know.
No, just colors brown, black & white... the 5 terminals are numbered...
I can email the enlarged scan of the diagram that was in the cover if that will help...
Great, just use the green tree icon to link it. Also are there any ID #'s on the leads. How many of each color wire. Black? White? Brown? I think that I've come up with a way to wire it without the diagram.

Edited by Mike G. on 8/27/2010 at 7:21 PM EST
The fact that there are only 5 leads and the motor say non reversing can only mean that either what would be the start winding leads has one connected internally to prevent a change of rotation. If I'm correct the test connections will be as follows

• 2 Whits together with the neutral
  • 2 Blacks together with the Hot
  • 1 brown connected with the blacks - if the motor hums when energized move the brown to the whites. be prepared to turn off the power if it hums and doesn't start right up.
The worst that could happen is that you trip the breaker. Go for it, I can't think of another solution.
Not at all the answer I was looking for...
Not being able to obtain a diagram from the manufacturer this is the only way to solve the issue. I'm sure it will work and you really don't have an alternative. Wire it as directed and see for yourself. Like I said the most that could happen is that you'll trip a breaker. Please check the link for a 6 wire dual voltage diagram. As you can see the diagram shows that the direction can be reversed. In your application not wanting the compressor to turn in reverse, the manufacturer had their motors made with the T-8 lead connected internally, leaving the 5 leads you have and by using this diagram with the 5 leads the way I suggested is the only possibility. A lot of effort went into getting this solution for you. If you don't like the answer, I don't know what else can be offered.

Edited by Mike G. on 8/27/2010 at 9:35 PM EST
http://apps.motorboss.com/connections/912577.pdf

Edited by Mike G. on 8/28/2010 at 2:43 PM EST
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician