Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We had our Hot tub installed 2 weeks ago, but still have not…

Customer Question
We had our Hot tub...
We had our Hot tub installed 2 weeks ago, but still have not been able to enjoy it. After the power is initally turn on, the tub begins to circulate the water x approximately 2 mins but prior to reading the water temperature the tub trips the 50 amp GFCI. We have had all our elecrtrical work done by an Electrition and rechecked by another. Two different GFCI have tried without success.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/29/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. I'll need for you to check the manual for the manufacturer's instructions as to what size feeder and breaker is required. Let me know.

hi mike

it is 220 voltage 50/60 hertz 50amp gfci 4-wire

thanks leo

Leo, I checked the internet for your tub and found that they only list a 501SZ which has a much greater load than 50 Amps The total load was 65 Amps and needed a 90 Amp breaker. I'll link to the page that I got the info from.

http://www.aquaspapak.com/Websites/aquaspapak/Images/VS-501Z%20G_StickerKit54356HC3.pdf

The problem you're having could be that when all components come on it overloads the 50 Amp breaker. Check the spec sheet. Add up the loads and multiply the total by 1,25 for the circuit and breaker size.
Leo, I was reviewing the spec sheet again and I think there is a simple solution. Take a look at the sheet and on the listing for the dip switches it has a setting for high and low amps.

Change the setting on that switch and see if it holds at 50Amps. That's the A10 switch. Also check the Hz setting.

Let me know if the change helped, if not there are a couple of other thing I want to try.

Edited by Mike G. on 6/30/2010 at 2:23 AM EST

Hi Mike,

Where are the dip switches (A10 switch) located? I looked on the diagram you directed us to, I don't see it indicated.

Leo

Leo, look in the control box for a line of switches on the bottom center of the board. Also check the print for the dark dotted line representing a jumper that has to be removed. Check to see that it has.
Good evening. Just wondering how you made out. Please advise.

Hi Mike i check and there is no jumper wire . I set the amps to low and the tub run for about 15 min . then the gfci clicked off .Is there anything else that i can try?

Thanks Leo

Good morning Leo,

Check the J12 jumper - it should be from 2 to 3 for the VS500 mode.

The tub held for a longer period it seems 2 min to 15 min. Let's check the ground and the draw next.

1) At the tub, I want you to remove the ground connection . Take the wire off its termination and isolate it.

2) Turn it on to see if it still trips? If it does there is a ground fault in the unit.

3) If with the ground removed the tub still trips it will be necessary for you to get an amprobe clamp on meter to verify the draw of the unit. This is something each of the electricians you had should have done. Replacing the breaker without knowing if it was the reason for the problem was indicative of their skills.

Edited by Mike G. on 7/1/2010 at 11:04 AM EST
Check this link and copy for reference

http://aquaspapak.publishpath.com/Websites/aquaspapak/Images/VS501%2054356-01_97_B.pdf

Edited by Mike G. on 7/1/2010 at 11:22 AM EST