Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

house i bought has nice big double sink but they didnt install…

Customer Question
house i bought has nice...
house i bought has nice big double sink but they didnt install garbage disposal. so i bought one to install along with the surface mount switch by insinkerator, since isn't one one wall. before i start i was curious how am i suppose to gain control over whatever receptacle i find for it? any big pointers or advice to make me confident before I tear into my project? What all supplies will i be needing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/29/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please explain what you mean by a surface mount switch. Are you referring to a standard in the wall type?
no its made by same company that makes disposals thought it was , InsinkErator or something close to that. its a surface mount that is flush for the main part, you can mount them in counter top or back of sink top[like where sprayer hole would be 4 faucet] I chose the stainless one so could just mount on sink and be not only barley noticable but nice easy professional look [hope so any way]
1) Have selected where you intend to pick up the feed for the unit?
well there is an outlet under sink on back wall next to my dishwasher
2) is the outlet being used?
3) describe the box the receptacle is in.

Edited by Mike G. on 6/29/2010 at 3:03 PM EST
no it is not
4) Before you get set on using that box, we should find out if anything else is on the circuit and what it might be.

5) Plug a lamp into it and then go to the panel and flip the breakers until you find the circuit. Leave it off and check to see what is now off.

Let me know.
i will be going home for lunch in less then 45min then i will and let you know
OK, I'll be online.