Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am slightly renovating 2 bathrooms. I am adding 2 exhaust…

Customer Question
I am slightly renovating 2...
I am slightly renovating 2 bathrooms. I am adding 2 exhaust fans - each pulls approx. 2 amps - and 4 overhead/vanity lights.

I have a 30amp breaker with # XXXXX wire not being used in my box. It is terminated in a junction box in my attic.

I would like to come off the junction box (#10) in the attic with 2 - #12's to 2 junction boxs near each of the 2 bathrooms - approx 15 feet. I would then run 14/2 to each of the fans and lights.

Is this a good plan or bad plan?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/29/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.

1) Is the 30A breaker 120V or 240V?
2) Is the #10 - 2 or 3 wire w/ grd?
3) Are you going to also wire in a GFCI receptacle in each bath?
The 30 amp breaker is a double and was supplying a 240v water heater. It has a black and white #10 wire attached.

The breaker appears like it can be "Un-doubled" or what ever the correct term is - so that it can be used as 2 30 amp breakers.

I plan on "Un-doubling" the breaker, removing the white wire and placing it with the other commons on the common bar. I will do nothing with the other side of the breaker.

The wire is romex with 2 conductors and a ground.

Each bath currently has GFCI's. just adding fans and lights.
OK, let's proceed,

4) The circuit will need to have over current protection not exceeding 15 Amps. Using the 14/2 is the determining factor. Remove the 2 pole 30Amp breaker and install a 15A single pole for the circuit.

5) Move the white #10 to the neutral bar.

6) forget the use of 12/2. It doesn't need to any larger than 14/2.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
It's not a good idea to hook up a #10 to a 15 amp breaker is it? Everything I've been taught says no.2

I would like to make each of the baths home runs back to the box with 15amp breakers, but getting new wires into the box is almost impossible.

You only have one 120V circuit in 10/2 cable. The fact that you're going to use it for that precludes its use for two circuits. You can fuse the 10 wire for 15 Amps. You just can't have 14/2 on a 30A circuit.